New Shooter - new member

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
TopperT

New Shooter - new member

Post by TopperT »

Has anyone expearience with the brass cartridge's? I keep wondering if say 60 grns of FFF would push that .525 round at just about max, with the added protection of the brass case for the increased cpus over FF, or does the 'rule of thumb' re: using larger grns ( FF or F) on larger bullets/cases hold here as well? .

As I have 23 lps of FFF Swiss from a 38-55 project I would like to use it if possible, other wise I'll be shooting my "New Model Army" until my wrist dorps off. Thanks. :D
"...always drink upstream of the heard..." Will Rogers
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

TopperT,

Many people use 45 to 55 grains of FFFG in paper cartridges for competition. It just depends on what your rifle likes. No problems with the rifle though.

Forget the brass case. More trouble than what they are worth, if they even fit your gun. You have a hard time getting them out of the gun after each shot. No extractor on an 1863 Sharps. Nitrated paper cartridges are easy but time consuming to made. They work great though. You can also just seat a bullet in the breech and then pour the amound of powder into the chamber. Messy, simple but it works.

If you have a Shiloh, the bore will take a minimum .545 cal. bullet. I shoot a .549 ring tail tapered Rapine bullet through mine. I've tried sizing the bullet to .547 but it shoots better with an unsized .549.

Rich
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

I use loose powder and don't find it messy at all. The trick is to have something to pour it from like a powder horn or flask. I drop the bullet in and pour the powder in up to the top of the breech. When I close the breech it only shaves off a very small amount of powder if any. I think this method works better in a Pedersoli because the block has a very small hollow space unlike the Shilohs. I haven't tried this method with the Shiloh as yet but as long as the barrel is kept facing down or not lifted above a horizontal plain it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't waste your time with the brass cases the ones I have don't fit the Ped. or the Shiloh. I was thinking of having them turned down to use them to make blow tubes with but I don't think they would fit in the bore after the rifle is shot one time due to fouling. Paper cartridges is the way to go, they take a little time but once you get used to it and get a method its really easy.

I think you will have very good luck with Swiss BP as it does not have to be compressd for good accuracy. I intend to get some and do some experiments with it in paper cartridges.

Good luck

Ken