Bear Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RR 11

Bear Hunt

Post by RR 11 »

Well I leave for New Brunswick in the morning. Hope to try my 1874 on a Black Bear next week. Will be using 45 1/10 405 cast. :) Wish me luck.
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

Best of luck to you & hopefully you'll take pictures. Many years ago, returning from a successful bear hunt in Ontario, my camera with pictures was unknowingly appriopriated by someone who thought they needed it more than me.
Don't let the same happen to you. Good hunting!
RR 11

Post by RR 11 »

Hope to keep all of my equipment locked up. We will be towing a 24' enclosed trailor with all of our equipment locked in side. If I get a good pictures I will try to post. :roll:
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

RR 11

Do yourself and the bear a favor .... take enough ammunition with you!

3 shells might not be enough to kill a bear!

Good luck ... & ... Good Hunting!

.... and what ever you do .... if you have to finish the Bear off with a club .... DON'T TELL ANYONE!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Omak Cowboy

bear

Post by Omak Cowboy »

I don't know how big the blacks get back there but here in Western Wa they are pretty small. Most are in the 350 range with very few up to 500. A 45 70 should put 'em down promptly. Still a good .44 Mag is not a bad back up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Gee, I was kinda hoping for another clubbing the bear tale, now you went and ruined it... well he left already....
Cowboy... 350-500 SMALL? Spring black bear? Haven't shot too many have you? Oops, I assumed you meant 350-500 POUNDS live weight...
maybe you meant something else. Sorry. I apolgize. I should not assume anything around here.
The 44 mag back up was a great idea.... he'll thank you big time when he gets out of a Frog prison for trying to take a handgun into Canada. :roll:
Omak Cowboy

pounds

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Yep, Doe, I mean live weight. And no I haven't shot at em but there are lots around here and I see them often. Matter of fact there were two sighted in the last two weeks, one of wich was not far from downtown Seattle. They must be living in some of the gullies round here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Yup, that's what I figured.......... :roll:
Omak Cowboy

frogs

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Yep, Doe I know what you mean about Canadian politics. We drive up every other weekend to play hockey. Col Klink, the border guard sometims appears so bored out of his Canuck skull that he askes me about the books I have in the car. Other times he wanted to know if I had any weapons - I said I didn't have any but my smart ass brain was thinking "What about the shovel, the tire chains, and assorted other stuff I keep in the trunk..not to mention gallons of liquid highly explosived liquid fuel in the tank...oh, and then we come to the "subvesive" material I usucally keep on hand..you know, thinks like "The Federalist Papers". "The Men Who Started the Revolution" and "The War of 1812"...

Morons!!!
:twisted:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

Yes Omak its going to take years for our new, good Conservative government to ferret out and do away with the Liberalism present in almost every government agency, and also the CBC and the media..
The good news is the gun registry is toast, and I can now shoot all of my firearms.
If the cops had invaded my house I could have gotten ten years in prison for every firearm I own.
If you add it up I would spend 300 years in prison for doing nothing.

Don't let it happen to you down there.
If you end up with a Liberal government you could find yourselves in the same boat we were in.

Ban Liberals, not guns.
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
Omak Cowboy

hunting

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Conan,
I've been reading about BC hunts. I may look into it as it looks like there is more elk up there then down here. We have lots of black bear here but I wonder if they are larger up there? If I'm going for a rug it might as well be a big one.

I heard the new PM has an pro gun agenda or at least is against the old anti gun one. Whadaya think?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE: