OUT OF AFRICA

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

flatwater

OUT OF AFRICA

Post by flatwater »

I returned home from my Africa trip at 1 am this morning. 52 hours without being in a bed. Who ever said "getting there is half the fun" never flew to Namibia.

Had a very good hunt, with no major mishaps.

I took a 45-70 this time, and wondered if it would be enough gun. Last time I took a 40-65 and a 45-90, but decided at the last to go with only one gun this time. I had access to a Martini-Henry (45-85-480),so effectively had a replacement for the 45-90 anyway.

Tomorrow or Sunday I'll try to post a photo on the hunting page, or a reference to a photo page, but right now am too brain dead to learn something new.

I tried a variety of loads before trip, but only bullets that shot well were Lasercast .459 diam 405 grainers. These are hard as bone, with a flat meplat, and 4 grease grooves. They actually weigh 405 grains. I loaded with a cci 200, 62grains Goex 2F, OJ top wad, and crimped at 2.53" OAL with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I hunted two places, 6 days. One on the Kalahari Desert, one place in the mountains. My guide asked if I intended to shoot for the shoulder on my quarry, A hartmanns Mountain Zebra. He said their shoulders are very thick, and perhaps I should just try for the lungs. I wasnt eager to follow a wounded zebra for miles, so I said "it will shoot right thru the shoulder" but I really wasnt sure.

48 hours later I shot a 352kg pajama donkey in the left shoulder while it quartered toward me, at 77M (84yards). The bullet broke the shoulder, passed just above the heart, and bulged the hide just behind the right shoulder. Zebra ran a semi-circle about 50yards and piled up.

Since several asked, here is cost. $3625 total for self and wife. Shot two trophies and 7 management animals. About $950 cost for wife (didnt hunt) so about 2700 for me. I left a tip of $125 and they seemed truly happy with it. If I had another hunter with me, my portion of the cost would have been about $2300 instead.

I asked to have the skulls boiled and the two trophies shipped as such. I'll put them on a wooden plaque-just to save money.

The places I hunted owned 106000 acres combined. I was the only hunter, heard no other shots. It was a good year for rain. They say they must remove "at least 1500 animals" this year alone. Total fees on my 7 management animals was $490. and their sending the horns along. All meat utilized..........................Flatwater Bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks Bill - more pictures when you can please.

I'll be going to Namibia soon - 4 more weeks.
Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
flatwater

Namibia

Post by flatwater »

Brent, have only been back 3 days and already would like to go back. One day at work did that. You will have a great time. I think your timing will be better than mine. The rainy season was so good this year (best in 40 years) that the grass is so high that spotting warthog and little animals like springbok and steenbok was nearly impossible. Another month should have some of the grass grazed off. Lowest temp I faced was 26F in the morning once, and several mornings below freezing at 31F. This was unseasonably cold for so early in the year, so you may face even colder temps if you hunt the central highlands. I was glad I brought a set of lightwt longjohns.

FWIW- I have found no suitable blackpowder cleaning gear in Windhoek at the gun shop. Over years have accumulated a stash of good stuff where I hunt, but augment it yearly by taking solvent soaked patches, new bore brushes and other stuff in sandwich baggies. Cleaning rods there have differnt threads.

This is a great year for Gemsbok, and they are the best meat and most exotic trophy on the planet. Good hunting.......fw bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
flatwater

photos

Post by flatwater »

I cant get the pics I want on the web for a variety of reasons, mostly own incompetence. No 1 Son returning home next week for visit, and will get help on putting a link here to several pics worth seeing. These arent "hero" shots of a dead animal. And, rifle not visible on them so probably not eligible for Shiloh page. But one series taken by wife from vantage pt with telephoto shows stalk, game, aim, puff of white smoke, and animal fall. Kind of shows what BPCG can do, so will get it here first week July................FWB
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life