Not Hogzilla, but--

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

Not Hogzilla, but--

Post by rdnck »

maybe I have a convert in the making. I'm going tomorrow afternoon to help my neighbor with a pig problem on his deer lease. Pigs have literally torn up his rye grass patch and nearly wrecked his feeder. Turned it over, and bent it up in fact. He had a bunch of about fifteen come in yesterday afternoon and got a pretty good one of about 175 pounds with his bow.

He has dropped by a number of times and has seen the Sharps work out, and is intrigued at the prospect of nailing a pig with one. I'm going to carry the 45-110 Business rifle and loan him a 45-70. It should be an interesting afternoon and evening. One way or another, I'll keep you posted. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

I went pig hunting last Saturday. Was invited to a 8000 acres lease in west cental Florida. Similar story, the pigs are distroying all the cattle & deer land. Anyway, I took the Sharps. I guess I was at the wrong place on the lease though. I came up empty handed, but my friend took three with his 30-30.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

Rdnck, Oh yeah. Good hunting.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Rdnck,

Take some of hose pp bullets I sent you. I know they work well on deer but I'm curious to see how they perform on swine.

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
rdnck

Bullets

Post by rdnck »

Timberlake--The 45-70 is loaded with them. Jacob is a good shot, and he may well nail one with the 45-70. Either way, if we get a pig, it will be with paper patched ammo. That is all we are carrying. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

The Quigley Sharps 45-70 on pigs

Not my hunt, but another guy I know down in Texas.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
rdnck

Update

Post by rdnck »

We went and sat from 4:30 pm until it was too dark to see--after 7:30. No hogs. We will give them a few days and try again, more than likely this weekend. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

rdnck,

How does that .45-110 Business rifle shoot with that 28" barrel?

Chief Beck
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
bulldog

Hog Hunt

Post by bulldog »

Thanks, Rdnck, for the report. Some of us been waiting anxiously. Course I don't know much about hogs but I would suspect that one spotting you sitting there with that 45-110 would decide to take a wide path. I have heard you can entice them closer with a pan of Shiner Bock Beer, however.
rdnck

Business Rifle

Post by rdnck »

Chief--My Business Rifle is very accurate. However, it is a little different than most. For openers, it has a shotgun buttplate. This is a must with any 45-110 if you expect to shoot it. My rifle also has a 30 inch barrel which helps me see the front sight a little better than the 28 inch barrel would, considering my eyesight. The rifle also carries a 13 7/8 length of pull, which fits me perfectly.

According to Sellers' book, the original Sharps factory made a few Business Rifles with the shotgun buttplate and the 30 inch barrel. I ordered my rifle to have the same specifications and finish as an original. This means that it has standard wood, bone pack case hardening and a polished blued barrel.

This rifle has been very accurate with every paper patched load I have tried in it. Bullets of 506, 511, 535, and 565 grains with a full case of either 1f Express or 2f Express shoot the same out to 385 yards with the full buckhorn barrel sight and a copper penny front blade. I load and shoot both the Buffalo Arms/Starline and Norma cases. It is easy to stay under 3 inches on a pig silhouette at 100 yards sitting off cross sticks with this set up. When I am seeing really well, it stays around 2 inches or a little better with barrel sights.

In the past, I have owned two other Business Rifles in 45-70. They were Wolfgang era guns and had the military buttplate and 28 inch barrels. One had the throated barrel. Neither would shoot with this rifle, and recoil was something that would wear on you after a while. They DID carry very well with the 28 inch barrel, but I sold both of them. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
RMulhern

Pigs?

Post by RMulhern »

Rdnck

Get ya about five 5 gal. buckets of ROTTEN SOYBEANS and pour 'em all in a pile and then a good spotlight to use after it's dark-thirty! Pigs can smell 'em rotten beans fer miles and what chocolate is to some folks....rotten beans are to pigs! Don't let ya barrel get too hot!!

Oh....every now and then.....grunt and go "oink, oink!" :lol: :lol:
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

'Ol Rick is right on about chummin' those hogs in. Spoiled beans will do as will week old, sun warmed milk and corn. You gotta have something aromatic and they WILL come. Good luck!

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
rdnck

Chum for hogs

Post by rdnck »

Not to worry about pulling hogs in. I have a super secret hog attractor that I learned from the best man I ever saw in the woods. In the late '70's I lived in the Florida panhandle for a while and made the acquaintance of a really unique individual. He showed me a concoction that will absolutely pull hogs for at least two miles and cause them to root a place as big as a tennis court and two feet deep.

We didn't use this, as we were on Jacob's deer lease, and to do so would ruin it for deer hunting. We are just being opportunistic hog hunters at the moment. Something will show up. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
ironramrod

Predator calls

Post by ironramrod »

Rdnck,

Don't have a clue how predator calls would work on hogs, but they certainly work well on the predator species around here. You might try a wounded piglet or hog sound either in a hand held call or one of the newer digital electronic calls. The digital electronics have lots of different sounds on them. Most wild mammals will respond to sounds of one form or another. If they did respond, the entire group may show up at least on the first go around.

With the two of you in tree stands about 50 yards or so apart you might be able to cut down 3 or 4 of them before the survivors made it back to home and mother. That probably wouldn't be a clean sweep, but certainly enough to convince the hogs that the rye field has suddenly become a really tough neighborhood.

Regards

Post by buffalocannon »

Or you could just stake out Slick Willie in your deer lease. He seems to have a real knack for bringin' in the hogs.