Tang Sight or Buckhorn for Hunting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Long Knife

Tang Sight or Buckhorn for Hunting

Post by Long Knife »

Well I was a wondering which one is used the most for hunting and the advantages/disadvantages of each. So all of you fine Shiloh hunters chime in 8)

Thanks

Long Knife
"Shoots today, Kills tomorrow"
The Green River Scalping and Joy Society
TXHunter

sights

Post by TXHunter »

I don't know nearly as much as these other fellers, but I have tried using the tang for hunting once. Never again. It was worthless in low light conditions. I would stick with the buckhorn. I am going to try the copper penny front sight this year.
Brad Swenson

I'm not the boss in my house....I don't know when I lost the job....I don't know if I ever had the job....but I have seen the job....and I don't want it.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Brant Selb

Re: Tang Sight or Buckhorn for Hunting

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="Long Knife"]Well I was a wondering which one is used the most for hunting and the advantages/disadvantages of each. So all of you fine Shiloh hunters chime in 8)

Thanks

Long Knife[/quote]

Long Knife,

No less an authority than Jack O'Conner said when referring to reciever sights and hunting, "take the eyepiece out and throw it away". I think the same principal applies to the tang sights, most of the aperatures are way too small for hunting purposes and are thus rendered useless in poor light conditions. I think that most would be well served using an aperature opening of at least .125 for hunting. I have a full buckhorn and blade on my 110 and am very confident with that combo to about 125 yds, after that, well the eyes just aren't what they used to be.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The tang site on my Shiloh is a copy of the old Lyman site. I take the target disc out of it when hunting and use it as a ghost ring. The front site is a globe; this year the insert I had in it was a medium-heavy cross-hair style with the middle of the cross-hair missing - it looks like the one 2nd from left on the bottom row of the Shiloh 109 insert set, but has the vertical parts of the cross-hair also. I liked that set-up.

My brother has a Marbles style site on his rifle and he has purchased a Merit eye-disc for use with it. Also seems to be a decent solution.

Haven't used my barrel sight the last few years because with the globe installed I have to use the ladder portion of the sight...

Kevin
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I found that the barrel sights provide me with better index for hunting. One can instantly adjust his hold for 20 to 200yds with a little practice. That pretty much covers all my hunting needs.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Scott,

I bought a Shiloh with a rear barrel sight for my trip to Africa (because none of my other rifles had rear sights) only to find that I could only see the rear sight well enough to shoot in very bright light. It seems 56-year-old eyes just don't have the depth of field capability of younger ones. So I bought an MVA 133 (sporting tang with no windage and no elevation screw) and bored out eyepieces to 0.096" and 0.125". I had no trouble using the smaller one in any of the situations in which I hunted. The copper penny front was visible in almost any light.

Clarence
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

does anybody have a photo of the copper penny front sight they could post??
Dan
Scott Tschirhart

Scott Tschirhart

RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="Scott Tschirhart"][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/ ... 005071.jpg[/img][/quote]

Scott

Iffen you'll put a REVERSE CUT on the rear of that copper penny.....you'll eliminate the 'glare' offen the sight and only the tip will be visible!! :lol: :lol:
Scott Tschirhart

I counted on the glare.

Frankly I am using another front sight now. The More Light Sight is much easier for me to place my shots precisely.
rdnck

Nope

Post by rdnck »

Sharpsman--You don't understand how this sight works. You don't want a reverse cut. Scott has it right. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Scott thanks for the photo's and yes what is the new sight your speaking of?
Dan
RMulhern

Re: Nope

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="rdnck"]Sharpsman--You don't understand how this sight works. You don't want a reverse cut. Scott has it right. Shoot straight, rdnck.[/quote]

Bill

What I understand is that I've tried that sight and the glare aka reflection emitted therefrom gives me a false image that for all practical purposes 'wipes out' what I'm shooting at! :lol: :? I reverse cut it, back when I was messing around with it such that I left a short upright bit that eliminated 95% of the 'reflected light' and for my eyes....it worked much better. :wink:
Scott Tschirhart

It is not a new sight, it was patented in the late 1870s I believe.