A thanksgiving I won't forget

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jerryl

A thanksgiving I won't forget

Post by jerryl »

Hey everone
I hope you all are having a great thanksgiving!
I did. I went mule deer hunting! I came on a herd of 20 does and a 5x3 buck, as me and my friend where putting the sneak on them I notice movement on the opposite hill side. It was a 6x6 with a spread of about 27 to 30 inchs.He moved toward the does. The 5x3 got really agitated. They both circled the herd, smelling does and posturing. Both stomping and snorting. My friend kept nudging me to shoot but I wanted to watch this play out. I have seen forked horn bucks sparing but never 2 big bucks fighting for dominance. Almost at the same time they both lowered their heads and charged each other. They both knocked down does in their charge. They locked horns and it was on! The 5x3 was claerly bigger bodied but the 6x6 fought hard. The 5x3 kept twisting his head trying to throw the 6x6 to its side. The 6x6 kept his footing and tried the same tactic but could not budge the bigger bodied 5x3. They ended up in a shoving contest. They only parted once to catch their breath, but only for a second and then they locked up for a second bout. after 4 to 5 mins. they seperated sides heaving and tounges hanging out. I could not tell who won but the 6x6 started to leave. as the 6 point left he walk about 100 yrds from me. I did not even put the 45-70 to my shoulder. I did not have the heart to shoot either one.
This is a late mule deer hunt and there are only 10 tags given out and I drew one. Needles to say my buddy was mad that I did not take the 6x6 or for that matter the 5x3. I had to listen to him grip all the way home.
The only justification I have is "to the victor goes the spoils and to the loser... well there's always tommorow!
It is a Thanksgiving I won't soon forget.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Good display of ethical sportsmanship. OORAH for you!!
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
pete

Post by pete »

Good story jerry. Like your previous experience I've seen mule deer spar but haven't seen them go at it like that . I think you did the right thing too.
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

You're a class act, Jerry. The respect you showed as a hunter for your quarry is something only other hunters can understand.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

jerryl this is one hunt you will always remember. Sometimes the best hunts are the ones where we never fire a shot. It seems only the hunters who have matured or should I say "seasoned" can understand that.
Dan O
flatwater

trophy hunt

Post by flatwater »

Nice post Jerry-that memory will make a better trophy than any rack ever could..................FWB
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
autie custer

True sportsman

Post by autie custer »

You are a true sportsman and a credit to everyone who calls themselves a hunter. It's not about the kill. My hat is off to ya!
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

Flatwater
That is the second time for the elk hunt and the first for mule deer. A friend of mine talked me into putting in for the mule deer. There were only 10 tags given out and I got one plus the elk, I should have bought a lottery ticket that day. I have never been a fan of mule deer hunting but that has changed, I'm flippen addicted now
flatwater

limited issue tags

Post by flatwater »

Jerryl
I hope your good fortune in drawing high quality tags continues. Hunting the general season in Eastern Idaho is usually pretty dismal. Especially since there are no hunts specifically for BPCG's. One is always competing with guys with very long range guns. The controlled hunts are the best place to use the old timey guns.
I have two friends that each have a 300 magnum, wildcat, based on a .404 mauser case. They drive 180 grain bullets at 3780fps. One of them shot an antelope this year at 520 yards. I cannot imagine what satisfaction one could get from such a hunt.
Sell your 300. buy another black powder gun. And again...congrats
Fw Bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

Flatwater
I have found that during general season that most of the big game hunters are doing it from their pickups or off of the 4 wheelers. I have my wife or son take me as far as the road will go and I hit the woods. I try to get back into the areas where there are no trails for pickups, hitting the bowls and smaller canyons that can't be seen, and have had great success. I used to use a 300 and have shot an elk every year during general season. Now I need to build confidence in my abilities with the 45-70. I may even try the 45-90 next year.
As for the pleasure derived from a 520yrd shot. I have buddies that get the same pleasure. In fact I have a friend that is spending $4000 on a special hand built 7mm shot far gun and special scope.
It just stems from laziness . Why stalk when you can lay down, sight in and get it over with.
The above statement is just my opinion. If it irritated or angered anyone... bummer
flatwater

away from the crowd

Post by flatwater »

Jerryl
I find that stalking game that hasnt been spooked by another hunter is critical to success with the BPCG. To that end, one must go where there are few other hunters. Sounds like you have found such a place.
My experience is very differnt than yours. I now find few hunters on 4 wheelers or in pickups. All 4 wheeler hunting in the units I hunt is illegal (though some still do it). Most road access is closed. ALL central Idaho units are heavily guided and outfitted. I have not found a remote basin in years that is not hunted to death.
I use my horse, and often set up camp several miles from the trail head. Last year (05), sixteen hunters passed my camp on foot or on horseback the first 3 days I was there (not even the season opener).
If you have a good spot that is lightly hunted, then make hay while the sun shines, because it will soon be found. Our State Legislature says that the number of new guide and outfitter applications is so backlogged that they want more staff to process 'em........FWB
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Let's be honest about it...I'd a shot the 6X6
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I hate to admit it, but I'm with Kirk.

Clarence
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

I hate to disagree guys, but after all the smoke and dust settled I would have shot one of the does; preferably a yearling. A lot easier to get out of the woods, probably could cut it with a fork, and likely would taste better to boot.

Definitely a "dear diary" moment, however, watching 2 big bucks shove each other around and yell at each other re: who crossed who's line first and when/why did they do it; a genuine meeting of the minds to be sure.

Regards
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

The yearling idea seems to be the perfect solution! Horns don't taste good and neither would have that buck itself. With all the adrenialen(sp) and the testosterone running through that buck it would have taken a chainsaw to cut your steak.