Mule deer report

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jerryl

Mule deer report

Post by jerryl »

The 45-70 struck again! I took a 5x4 mule deer with a 25 inch spread, 218lbs gutted. Not the biggest one that I saw but the biggest one that I could into range and believe me I tried to get on several different bucks. I had trouble putting the penny on a mule deer that was out over 250yds. I guess my eyes aren't as good as they were.
I have never taken mule deer hunting very serious. I did find that if you are choosy about the size of the deer it is far more challenging than elk hunting.
I ended up hiking several miles and it was all up hill. I came across a small herd of does and the 5x4. I crawled through the brush for about 100 to 150 yds to get with in 200 yds. I sure buggered up the wood on the fore stock of the 45-70. I had to wait for the does to clear away from the buck I did not want to blow through the buck and hit a doe. The buck was running from one doe to the next. He finally turned broad side and I ranged him at 178yds. I put the penny on him and touched off. RDNCKs 542 gr. 30:1 did their job (as if I had any doubt).
I at least caught a break dragging him out, it was all down hill. There was not much hair left on his side as the drag was across shale and rock face.
A friend came over and helped me skin the buck. He could not believe the size of the exit hole. He thought I shot him 2 or 3 times. There was a hole the size of my fist. He searched that carcass and only found one entrance.
Well I have a buffalo to go get next month.
This gun has put a whole new perspectve on hunting. Anybody want to buy a 300 win mag? :lol:
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Welcome to the fire. You won't mess with that .300 again if the bug bites you as hard as it did me.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
rdnck

THAT will work

Post by rdnck »

jerryl--Congratulations!! I'm glad it works for you as well as it does for me. I know what you mean about not wanting to shoot another kind of rifle. When you learn how to use a Sharps, it is a whole new ballgame. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats jerry. Yea hunting with bp whether ml or cartridge brings alot more to the game. History along with the satisfaction of doing it a harder way combine to make it real good.
You mentioned buggering up the wood on your rifle. I know what you mean. Crawling a fair amount during a stalk for open country animals like mule deer or antelope is hard on rifles.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Pete/JerryL,

Yea, I know what you mean about scrapes and gouges. I got a little additional barb wire and rock patina on my Sharps the other day crawling up on some deer. I think that's gotta be the reason they make linseed oil.

Regards
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

WEll guys your rifles are developing their own character. Pretty is ok but in the years to come you will probably prefer the "hunt signature" over the pristine look. I heard that many of the original buffalo guns would have the forearm plumb wore through from carrying them over the saddle pommel for instant use. I personally love the look of a well cared for arm that has the bluing wore off the corners a few battle scares. The rilfe seems to be saying "Im doing what I was born for". SSD
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

There is nothing wrong with a few battle scars on the rifle.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com
david.bergen

Post by david.bergen »

Congrats Jerry,
Can you post some info on the load you are using.
Bullet style, powder wheight,hardness,velocity.....
Did the bullet struck bone or did it upset enough causing that big exit wound?
David
jerryl

Post by jerryl »

david
I used 71gr of goex 2fg, fedral cases .060 veg wad, fedral lg rifle primers (215) and RDNCK cast me some 540 gr. 30:1 bullets. I am gathering up some stuff to start casting my own and I am sold on the 30:1 lead, gonna chase coyotes this winter.
As for its knock down power, when we skinned the animal there was a hole in the ribcage that I could stick my fist through. My buddy thought I shot it twice, He had never seen a hole that big with just one shot. For that matter neither had I.
I think that the 30:1 gives the right amount of expansion, although I can not prove it as I never recovered the bullet from the elk or the deer. The trama it caused is proof enough for me!