First buffalo Yahooooooo

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt Henry

First buffalo Yahooooooo

Post by Capt Henry »

I got to fullfill a life long goal that is to hunt buffalo with my Sharps, well...we did that this past weekend. My son and myself traveled to northern Nebraska to Sandhills Outfitters near Stuart Nebraska. The outfit is run by Rick and Doris Hamilton.
I had picked a 1 1/2 year old bull for both meat and a trophy head and robe, as well as got in a little pheasant hunting as he also has a game ranch for the birds.
We found the bull on a small hill and managed to get in a 250-300 yard stalk getting in position at 115 yards. The first shot, (which I thought was low) took off the top of his heart and broke the off side shoulder, he turned a 180 and I put another one just a little higher that anchored him and he did not move from that spot. It seems that a buffalo carries his vitals a little lower than most wild game. I might also add that the weather at the time was -20 below with the wind chill.
I used my No 1 Sporter in 45-70 with a Paul Jones 45001 bullet 20-1, 70 grains of 2F Swiss and a 030 walters wad and federal 215 primer. The bullet was set just short of the first driving band. I used a Parts Unknown midrange tang sight and a copper penny front sight, which I recommend for anybody hunting it stands out against the buffalo like a neon sign.
The Hamiltons are great people and with Doris's home cooking I think we may have gained some weight while there.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/Ro ... 0_0133.jpg
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

Congradulations, I'm happy for you. Wish I could have been there -20 and all.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com
rdnck

You bet!

Post by rdnck »

Capt. Henry--Congratulations on the buffalo, and good shooting. The 45-70 will get the job done, no doubt about it. Did you recover the bullets, or did you get complete pass through? Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

rdnck
Both bullets passed through as far as I know, the processer is going to look when he gets to the shoulder
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Outstanding! Congratulations. I want to do that some day. Would like to have a nice warm buffalo robe to roll up in when it is cold.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Capt. Henry,

You just gotta post their website. Where there a lot of bulls there?

You just can't shoot a buffler like that one and not give more details!

Thanks,

Headhunter
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Headhunter
More than happy to post their web site, its http://www.sandhillsoutfitters.com/
They have a small herd of 35+ animals, I think, but I am not sure of the count of bulls Vs cows. If you email Rick he could fill you in on any details. They have at least one herd bull that we saw up close, he looked to be a monster at least 6 foot to the shoulder. Another cow that was almost as big. We got up fairly close as we had to herd them away from my bull as they kept trying to hook him and get him up, that took close to 1/2 hour. They were not in a good mood after having one of their own down. I can see now how the hunters could get a "stand" and keep dropping them they were very reluctant to leave.

Rolland
flatwater

some specifics

Post by flatwater »

Rollalnd-congrats. Saw your pic. Nice.

I followed your link to their webpage. The special that was listed looks pretty good. Priced right.

I'm assuming a person gets to keep the meat, since it talks about transporting the carcass to a butcher, but I could never really find a statement that says you get the meat. Did you?

Food and lodging good? Any thoughts on the best month to hunt?

Thanks.................................FW Bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Flatwater
Yes you keep the whole animal, I did my own field dressing skinning and quartering as it was cold enough to transport it home.
The lodging is a full service cabin near (1/4 mile) from the main house. The food was home cooked by Rick's wife, Doris, and was included with the package, I might mention that she is a farm wife so the food reflects that quality, very good. I suppose if you wanted you could bring your own as the cabin has a stove microwave etc...
As far as best month to hunt, I wanted the best robe so I waited until December and cold weather but I did not count on -21 that made it a real challenge as I just don't get that cold in Arizona.
Hope this helps :D
Rolland
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats Capt Henry; That's a good looking young bull. It's interesting to experience first hand the performance of bp cartridge on buffalo as well as reading about it in history books.
I've been to the Sandhills (Not where you went) 3 times for buffalo. 2 cows and a big bull. Sometimes they go down quick and sometimes they sure don't. You'll enjoy the meat and the robes are too cool.
I live on the plains of eastern Colorado but that sandhill area is real interesting.
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Capt. Henry: That's a very fine bull you shot. Have you had a chance to eat on him yet? I hope to repeat your experience soon.
Bill

P.S. Do you know Irish Mick in Camp Verde?
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

Bill
We had some burger the other night and it was outstanding :D . Will try some steaks later this week. No I don't know anyone by that name here.