Nice Mule Deer Buck

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mannyspd1

Nice Mule Deer Buck

Post by mannyspd1 »

Hi all,

This buck was taken by my friend Travis Crane in Idaho last Wednesday, opening morning of deer season. Although not taken with a Shiloh, it is an interesting story.

Travis and my brother-in-law, Jim Naccarrato, spotted the deer just before opening day last year. At that time, he was 28-30" wide, and had some cheaters starting to grow off his main frame. They could tell he was a young deer. Both Travis and Jim made a deal-they wouldn't shoot him, as they wanted to see how big he could get if allowed to grow an additional year.

The buck lived on National Forest ground, so there was a chance that he wouldn't make the year. Perhaps another hunter, but unlikely, as deer like this go nocturnal after opening day and timber up during the rest of the season, perhaps a winter kill, lion kill, or maybe wolves all could have gotten this guy.

They spotted him again in July, still in velvet but obviously the same buck. Although the antlers were still growing, they could tell he was going to be a monster.

They continued to pattern the buck throughout the summer and early fall, just enough to know his bedding areas. They did not push him as they did not want to spook him, even months before the season. They saw he broke off his G-3 on one side (an estimated 8-10" of antler) while still in the velvet.

Three days before opening morning, Travis was alone on the hill as my brother-in-law could not make the hunt. They knew that opening morning would be the best chance of killing this buck, as other hunters in the area would push him into the timber and they would never see him the rest of the season. Travis, who spiked camped on the hill, woke this guy up and put him to bed, for the 2 1/2 days immediately prior to opening morning.

Initially, on opening morning Travis could not spot the buck. Travis then found the buck about 200 yards lower in the canyon than he had figured where the buck would be. There was a stiff wind that morning, so Travis believes the deer bedded lower to get out of the wind.

Travis fired a single shot from his .270 WSM using a 130 grain Barnes TSX. The bullet broke the onside front shoulder, took a lung, and was found under the skin of the opposite side ham.

The buck is 39.25" wide, 8 scoreable points on one side and 12 on the other, with 4.5" eyeguards.

This is Travis' second monster mule deer buck; 2 years ago he took a B&C typical scoring in the mid 190's. We have all taken bucks 28-31" from this area, our previous biggest being a 34" 8 X 5, but Travis' buck is in another class.

I decided to include the details of this hunt in this forum as I thought it was quite an accomplishment how they had planned to take this buck over a year in advance. Most people would have shot him when he was pushing 30" the year before. I am proud of them both for their dedication, and doing it like this is what hunting is all about. Now, if I could only convert them to shooting Shiloh's!

Manny
Brent

Post by Brent »

NOw that is is a NICE buck!

I should be able to come up with a couple just like it this fall from WY and Nebraska (yeah right!).

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
pete

Post by pete »

That's an awesome buck. Most people will never see one like that much less kill one.
mountianman286

Post by mountianman286 »

WOW!!!!! I can only dream of seeing one that big!

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!
YOU CAN'T BE LOST IF YOU DON'T CARE WHERE YOUR AT!
Lil' Quigley

Post by Lil' Quigley »

That's a huge buck. I don't think I've never even seen one like that in magazines. Congrats!!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Not only is it huge, it is nice to see it was well earned by the guys that killed him.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

That is an incredible story of some very dedicated hunters and one incredible rack!!

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
six shooter

Post by six shooter »

Manny,

That is a great story and a beautiful buck. Idaho is a big place. What general location did he shoot it in.

I ask a 10 year old kid a similar question about a fish that he cought and he said in the lip.

I dont mean the lungs. I was thinking Wester Idaho, Salmon, something like that.

Thanks
six shooter
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Six Shooter,

I apologize in advance that I cannot get too specific; I promised Travis that and my brother-in-law would kill me. The buck came from southern Idaho, that is the best I can do.

Keep in mind that I hunt this area as well, and neither of them even told me about the buck until after it was on the ground.

Both live in Idaho and and spend weeks in the hills and on the winter range, chasing shed horns, pre-season scouting, etc. I get up there for a couple of weeks in the fall to hunt deer and elk. After I retire, I plan on being there a lot more! I have hunted the area since 1982, I know it pretty well, but not like they do.

Manny
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Mannyspd1, Keep it a secret... I had a spot in Montana that was a hard, long hike to get to, and one day I found an easier way in from the back side. I made the mistake of telling a friend about it with the understanding that he would keep it under his hat. This was a shorter but still difficult way in. The next year, the narrow game trail had widened out to where you could walk and not move brush out of the way. The next year it was a horse trail and the following year a jeep trail. Yeah... he kept it under his hat.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

We shot 3 elk and of course we went to McDonalds to have a McMuffin and show off the elk. A guy in the restaurant asked us where we got them. I told him up in the Bridger's. He asked "where?" I told him by Flathead pass. He continued, "on public or private land?" I told him private. He then asked what the guy's name was that owned the land, and my hunting partner kind of rubbed his chin, looked at the ceiling and said "I think his name was Bob"
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
MRW

Post by MRW »

Congrats! Thanks for sharing hunt and what a dandy buck!