Hi Gents

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

EvilTwinMar

Hi Gents

Post by EvilTwinMar »

Well, seeing as how I registered here a couple of years ago, I have fallen asleep at the switch--this is my first post (prodded by Rdneck). Just got back from a moose hunt in Newfoundland. I killed a bull with my original Sharps 45-110. Now excuse me for being a dummy (temporarily I hope) but as I get the feel for this forums ways of posting etc. I will tell this: 500gr paper patched bullet cast 30:1 from an RCBS nose pour mold. Bell cases, 105gr GOEX FFG Express. WLR primer. Range 75 yds. Entry from steep angle gave a pass through the diaphram and then completely passing through the full paunch og bull to lodge just under skin a bit forward of the left hindquarter. The bull dropped like he was hit by lightning. As a hunter I went close-3 feet and put one in the back of his neck to pay the insurance. Now if some kind character here could bring me up to speed on how to post pics, I will. Thanx and good hunting :D
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Congratulations sounds like a great hunt. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Dan
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

EvilTwinMar,

PM Kurt. He regularly posts pictures here. He'd be more than happy to help you out.

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
rdnck

Oh, Boy!!

Post by rdnck »

Guys, this is neater than neat! Evil Twin sent me pictures of his moose hunt on another forum and I encouraged him to post about his hunt over here. The really special thing is that his rifle is an ORIGINAL bull barrel conversion, in 45-110, on top of that. There is no telling how many buffalo this old gun has taken, and here it is in 2007 dropping full grown bull moose with one shot, with paper patched ammo to boot. How special can you get?

I hope ET can figure out how to get the pictures posted here, and will tell the whole story himself. What a start to a hunting season! Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Brent

Post by Brent »

You mean this one?

Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
rdnck

Dead Moose!!

Post by rdnck »

Yep!! Thanks, Brent. shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Brent

Post by Brent »

Having hunted moose twice and never yet pulled the trigger on one, I am really envious of anyone that has made groceries out of one of these.

And with an original 110.... Yup, pretty high on the cool factor.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

EvilTwinMar

Congrats! Not too many things neater than an original Sharps, a 45-110, paper patch bullets and a dead moose! :D There is only one thing in the BPCR field of interest that would come close and that is a chamber cast from your rifle!! PM me---please.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Evil - 105 grains of Goex Express FFg. The moose must have thought a safe had fallen on him. Good work!
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Now that is what it is all about. Great job!

That is just a real good load for any 45-110. It does tend to put them down quick.

Its real close to what I shoot in my 45-110.

Headhunter
EvilTwinMar

Post by EvilTwinMar »

Thanx Brent. I am a neanderthal posting anything on this forum. As to the rifle, it is a Boker contract conversion in 45-110. Boker sold it to Schuyler,Hartly and Graham in 1877 and it was shipped to Wyoming and sold there in 1878. It was highly probable it was on the buffalo fields. My hunt. WHAT A BLAST!! Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland. It had been raining hard from overnite and my guide, myself and my main partner-in-crime had been pussyfooting through bogs and clearcuts. The rain kept our scent down. Len, my guide and I saw the moose nearly at the same time on a trail in a clearcut. About 75 yards out he stopped. I dropped down, set the rifle on the shooting sticks, loaded and sighted. he was facing me angled off slightly to my right. I fired and while I was still in recoil Len said "Ya got im down!!" I didn't see him until I stood up. I ran over, chambered another round and hit him in the back of the neck at 3' to pay the insurance. If you look at the pic, his hind legs went straight out to the back and his front legs straight out to the front. A 900 lb moose got body slammed. Len said he NEVER saw that happen to a moose before and later, the owner and the rest of the guides said the same thing. The other 8 hunters were using 300 Ultras, 300 Winnies, a 300 Weatherby and a big 7 mag all using premium bullets. NOBODY used less than 3 shots, and 2 used 5 shots to get their moose down so the 45-110 has made believers out of the benighted. Thanx to Rdneck giving me a few pointers, my ammo was a "Hammer of Thor" as he puts it. :D :D
kimwcook

Post by kimwcook »

Congratulations! That's got to be a rush. I'm getting all twitterpaited just looking at the picture and reading about it.

I'd love to be able to do that, just once in my lifetime before I go to the happy hunting grounds and get a new thunder boomer. Although firing lightning bolts would be so cool. :P
Old Law Dawg
EvilTwinMar

Post by EvilTwinMar »

YOU get twitterpaited?? Hell man, I did it and I still get twitterpaitted about it every day!! GET a 45-110. GO HUNTING in Newfoundland with it. Kill a moose!! Life is too short to quible!! The absolute thrill of sighting on and dropping the hammer on really big game like a moose with one of these cannons defies description for excitement and satisfaction!! DO IT!!!
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Congratulations! Hunting with an original rifle!!!! I wish!!

Thanks for the information on the hunt, I hope to hear more from you in the future and about future hunts.

Manny
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

There was an Original 50-90 On GunBroker the other day. Looked REAL nice.

$12,000 I Bleve.

$12,000 would get me

1. An Original Sharps Bridgeport 50-90
2. Shot with it in the guts
3. Scalped
4. Hung Up
5. Skinned and Burned

Headhunter