I may need to go hunting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GST

I may need to go hunting

Post by GST »

Due to some recent posts I was prompted to go to the local excuse for a gun store today and buy a hunting license. I haven't shot a deer since '91. Most likely will use my Farmingdale #3 Sporter. On the recommendation of Mr. Smith I had it rebarreled from 45-120 to a 45-70 with a 26" heavy Badger by John King. Also got a new breechblock. I will use a Brooks round nose 520 gn. on top of 1 1/2f swiss.
Now if it will ever cool of to anywhere close to 60 degrees I may go hunting again.

GST
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm waiting for that cool weather too. I have a group of hunters coming down for the week of December 17 and I am hopeful that we have a chill in the air.

Good luck!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
GST

Post by GST »

Scott- I am down to only one hunter on my place now. Used to have 5 but 2 died of old age, one had a stroke and the other one went blind. The last one is only 77. Since I am retired now I think I need to take up their slack. Blanco Co. has a 5 deer limit with no more than 2 bucks like most of the hill country. I have seen larger horns and better body condition than in many years past. In the years before I stayed out of their way since they were paying.

GST
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

GST,

The Texas deer population numbers and quality have taken a big turn for the better since the late 1960s and 1970s. The quality of the herd is a direct reflection of the change in hunters' attitudes and a better understanding that it isn't just this year, but tomorrow we need to worry about.

It sounds like you had some long-term hunters, those are always the best.

Good luck!

Scott
Just me and Big Nose Kate