Aquired an original sharps, Now what

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

Re: Aquired an original sharps, Now what

Post by Marathonman »

marshalfire wrote: There was mentioned of looking into a factory letter. What is the contact for that source.

My goal, get it to shoot safely, us it to hunt white tale as a replacement to my 50-70 Shilohs.
Regards
Phone number for original factory record information is 215-743-1376. I wouldn't ask a 140 year old original Sharps to replace your 50-70 Shiloh rifles for hunting. You're much better off with the Shilohs in just about all aspects.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

I believe Bill Goodman in Billings is an expert with antique firearms, might be worth a call.

Frank

My long distance provider is Sharps.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Probably cost you more than your first house! :wink: :shock: :D
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Masonpd2000

Post by Masonpd2000 »

Marshal i have a 40-70sharps bn the difference between the bore and groove is only .006. It is a paper patch barrel, dont change it just load it and shoot, you will be surprised.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Marathonman wrote:Listen to my good friend "by God Bob" :D :D He's spot on here.

I'd like to elaborate a little on my make it safe first comment. Elmer Keith almost blinded himself shooting an 1869 Sharps. Please do inspect the breech block and consider doing what I have done. I machined down a Shiloh block slightly so that it would fit the actions of original Sharps rifles. It's modern steel and highly unlikely to allow blow back into my face. I always keep this block handy and drop it in original actions before shooting them. Afterwards I take it back out again replace with the original. As mentioned before let Shiloh inspect and replace minor parts. They might even fit a new breech block if you ask.
I want to elaborate on Mm's post here a little. On page 215 of Sellers in the Breechblock paragraph Sellers explains that the older 69 and early 74's had the 1 piece Horseshoe shaped firing pin. Up till 1872 then the breechblocks for guns chambered for 90 gr of powder or more had a "gascheck" or sliding dovetailed plate behind the firing pin held to the block with a screw, the block was vented to the bottom in case of a pierced primer. The smaller chambered rounds still had the 1 piece firing pin and NO DT plate , you pierce a primer and the gas and metal came to the eye. By Jan 1877 Sharps equipped all their 74's with the dovetailed plated as a result of pressure by western dealers headed up by JP Lower. Read it in Sellers and make sure you UNDERSTAND this, EYE Protection on these older guns all ways. Shiloh uses the plate and small diameter firing pins for modern primers. The old firing pins were larger diameter and so were Berdan primers. Shiloh can fit a new Shiloh breechblock to your original and save your original parts for you. It is real work and takes real time so it costs REAL money as their time is worth money. I'd also like to add that most conversion guns from the old percussion guns had 1 piece firing pins and NON dovetailed plate breech blocks. bobw
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

bob,
Don't ALL original sharps centerfires have 1-piece firing pins? The way I'm reading you, you seem to imply that later guns with more 90+ gr of powder had something other than 1 piece pins. Maybe I'm just reading you wrong.

Anyway a bit +1 on the eye protection thing - on any Sharps, new or old. I would be very leery of shooting any Sharps w/o the dovetail plate, even with eye protection, and especially if using just the barrel sights.

Your suggestion for a fitted, new breech block for those early rifles is a good one, in my opinion.
bobw

Post by bobw »

BFD wrote:bob,
Don't ALL original sharps centerfires have 1-piece firing pins? The way I'm reading you, you seem to imply that later guns with more 90+ gr of powder had something other than 1 piece pins. Maybe I'm just reading you wrong.
Yah Brent they were all 1 piece, but if you think about the back of the horseshoe was probably thinner in the dovetailed plate blocks. As you will recall even the first Farmers had large dia firing pin. Shiloh has advanced the design to a 2 piece and smaller firing pin dia to work better with modern casing and primer size.

Anyway a bit +1 on the eye protection thing - on any Sharps, new or old. I would be very leery of shooting any Sharps w/o the dovetail plate, even with eye protection, and especially if using just the barrel sights.
Can't even begin to overstress the eye protection. I read the same passage in Elmer Keith's, "Hell, I was there" book. He was very lucky not to have lost an eye over that.

Your suggestion for a fitted, new breech block for those early rifles is a good one, in my opinion.
bobw
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yes, I have the old "original" style firing pin in my Farmer. I like it well enough and I've never had a ruptured primer. However, it is really easy to see how that could happen and even the dovetail plate (not secured with a screw in my case, but not really important) would concern me as to being able to hold back the pressure of a heavy load behind a heavy bullet.

My M77 Axtell also has the 1-piece firing pin, or it did until someone changed it for me. The 2-piece version that is in there now was done w/o any modification to the breech block and could presumably be done with any M74 Sharps as well. The Axtell does have the sliding dovetail plate, btw.
marshalfire

Post by marshalfire »

IMG_0228.JPG
https://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/down ... iew&id=925
IMG_0223.JPG a.JPG
Some have asked for a few photos, sorry for the delay.
I do intend to see if there is historical information via a letter. The gun was made in Bridgeport and has a ser number 156XXX
I cast the chamber and confirmed that the gun is a 40-7- BN.
Working on cleaning the barrel with patch and oil, each time getting some more rust from the barrel.
As you can hopefully see from the photos there was some silver inlay added to the forearm and also (not shown ) to the rear stock.
I appears that the set trigger was broken off?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you :!:
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
marshalfire

Post by marshalfire »

Rifle is a 40-70 BN Sporting model, Sold to Ben Kittridge & CO of Ohio on August 28, 1876
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Nice rifle!

Looks better than the first description I read. Letters pretty good too since Kittridge guns are considered western shipped by collectors and many of them were used in the buffalo hunts. This one was shipped early enough to have a good chance at the Texas hunt and later. Not all buffalo guns were these 16 pound monsters in 45-110 although some were of course. Rear trigger wasn't broken off but rather removed on purpose and is easily replaced now. Congratulations on getting your original Sharps rifle.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Would it be possible to see a close up of the forend?
Curious about the inlays.
THX,
G.
marshalfire

Post by marshalfire »

IMG_0234 (002).JPG inlay.JPG
inlay 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you :!:
Pretty sure that wasn't factory done then.
How did you come across this rifle?
G.