Ballard rifles

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SgtDog0311

Re: Ballard rifles

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Thanks for the feedback Woody. All mine are crescent buttplate. Have to be careful where you rest them for sure. The 38s won't remind you as much as my 40s but the 40s will get my attention if I place it wrong.

I can't get prone, or rather can't arch my back backwards once I'm there so I'm shooting off sticks.

The 45-70 I have a line on is a shotgun buttplate so that will help some. Still just a 10.5lb rifle though or there abouts. This one has a 32" barrel. If I could find a nice design bullet in the 460 - 480gr I'd probably try that first. Been shooting OE so will try 1.5 and 2f. Not sure if there is a rule of thumb for granulation that applies. Currently having good luck in the 40 with 2f.

John
Smoke Wagon

Post by Smoke Wagon »

SgtDog0311 wrote:Old thread I know... Nice picture though. About to close a deal on a Cody in 45-70.

I wonder if the OP ever got his rifle.
Looking forward to pictures of your Cody.

Unfortunately, I didn't get one.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

John - Excellent rifles. You can always have the barrel reconfigured (shortened, turned to half-round, lined) to the caliber you want. Either DZ Arms or Crossno can do the work for you. Not sure if DZ would reconfigure the firing pin, etc., to .22RF, but feel sure Crossno (and several others) would.
Glenn
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Smoke Wagon, I'll be sure and post some when I get it. This is the only one I have right now if I did the attachment correctly. Rifle is in Oregon right now. Fellah getting old enough to start thinking about divestment. A close friend is working on the exchange for me.
45-70 Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Co (2).jpg

Glenn, if anything I'd like add more weight. With the thru-bolt I'd be hesitant to add any in the stock. I've missed seeing you in OKC this year. They cancelled the last big-bore match here for November, much to my disappointment after driving like a mad-man to make it back to Oklahoma in time.

Nice thing about this is the sights. I like Steve's but didn't discover his till I'd bought several MVA. So this one is configured like most mine. Baldwin front globe and MVA rear. Not sure about that large Hadley but it might do. Will have to see how I like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smoke Wagon

Post by Smoke Wagon »

My lord, that's a beautiful rifle.

A wonderful acquisition.

Completely understand as I started my divestment 4 years ago.
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Well Smoke Wagon, if you have a good candidate for 22 BPCR I still have one vintage piece I'd sell to get a good shooter. Already sold three to fund this one.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I sure like the Ballard design. Ingenious idea for a block design. Over hauled a few but never owned one. Had a cast action come in one time in 32-40 but did not want to work on a center fire cast action Ballard. It would be fine if only BP was used but not a good idea with smokeless in that cartridge.
Even forged Ballard originals are not over strong actions design wise.
Had a Pacific come through one time and the block seats had been bushed with steel inserts and soft soldered in place. It was a 45-70 and looked like a potential bomb to me but as the joints were well fit and the solder was holding on the shear it just might hold up I really didn't know for sure so passed on it.
I've since heard of that fix again and need to look it up in DeHaas book and see what he has to say about it ,if anything. I would have at least used silver solder for the seat insert rebuild.
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

The web right now has a put-together Ballard in 32-40 someone had made a clumsy attempt at removing the top two lines on. Still plenty evidence to see the two lines were there. I was surprised to find it advertised as a forged frame. Friend and I were talking about it and I found a better picture that clearly showed it. Seller changed it after it after it was pointed out to him. Well, he removed the mention of "forged" on the listing anyway. I don't think he volunteered that it was cast. Buyer beware I guess.

I'm shooting a Crossno liner right now at 22 BPCR. Have just now started watching what others are shooting with hopes for a dedicated 22 by next season. Would love to have a Cody like this one but like an old boss used to say, "you can have anything you want. Just can't have everything you want"!

I'll be more realistic and look for something that $1500-$2000 would buy.
Cody Ballard 22 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

SgtDog0311 wrote: Glenn, I've missed seeing you in OKC this year.
John - Hopefully i'll be in better 'traveling condition' next season. Plan to shoot the MI regional and head on SW for Raton. Would be nice to fit a match or two in OKC in on the way, but will have to see what their schedule is next season.
Good luck with that great looking Ballard. Think you and Vall are cornering the market. ;)
Glenn
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

That reminds me Glenn, Wasn't it you I was shooting with when I tried to get down prone and almost couldn't finish the match?

Now I'm hoping to get some paperwork that allows me to shoot off the turkey seat so I can go Nationals. Not sure how long that takes to turn around with the NRA or whoever decides. Have had a couple back procedures since then.

Also, just got back from the this morning's 22 match where I got wind of a Cody in 22 available here locally. Would have to make a tough choice between some vintage Marlin levers or sell off a couple original Ballards.

Selling off a couple originals for a Cody might make Vall disown me as a friend! Bet I toss and turn some tonight making up my mind which would go.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I always drop the block and look inside the receiver to make certain wither or not a Ballard is forged or cast. I read some where that the line count is not always a certain method of identification.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have seen one original cast action Ballard in 32-40 from the factory.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

desert deuce, I've heard of a three line that was forged but never a two line that was cast. I'm assuming you are saying you've seen it the other way around with the 32-40? Is that correct?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Course now modern Ballard receivers are all cast but of steel not iron.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have an original 32-40 on a Stevens 44 and it is still tight at the seat but needs new pins and screws. They were also made in 38-55 but would quickly stretch and shoot loose in either chambering if smokeless was used. They did fine at BP pressure though , I have read.