Steve's Memorial

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Steve's Memorial

Post by jackrabbit »

Like most of us, I was in shock at the news of Steve's passing and have been unable to find the words. I do not want to pretend that I knew him really well, or that we were even close friends, and I certainly do not want to elevate him to sainthood as is so often done with those that have passed. I would like to say he was my friend and I will miss him, and there has been a dark cloud hanging over since I heard the news. We had many phone conversations and I always enjoyed the opportunity to visit with him at matches. Steve was always very supportive and interested in what I had going on. Helpful advice was always readily given, and I couldn't help but feel he tried to protect me. He was incredibly enthusiastic and I learned a lot from him about how to put on a match. I bought quite a few supplies from him over the last several years, and was always amazed how he shipped stuff with an invoice, and then you sent him a check. He would go out of his way to help new shooters try to figure out how to make these darned BPCR rifles work, and if he refused help to anyone, ever, I never heard of it. I will always smile thinking about his loud voice and jokes around the campfire, his and Kidwell's bantering here on the forum, his feud with Brent, and his sincere worry that Kirk Bryan would find out he had filed on the breech block of my rifle at a match to get me going again. I had a broken firing pin and I couldn't get the darned sliding piece back into the rifle. I took it to Steve between relays and he got out a file only after making me swear I wouldn't tell Kirk about what he was doing. :lol: :lol:

I guess I have taken this time to reflect on all of the really great people I have met and the friends I have made from shooting BPCR. When it boils right down to it, life is really about relationships, I thank the Lord for all the many friends I have and that I had the chance to know Steve. I don't believe funerals are for those that died, I think they are for those that live. I wish I could be at Steve's service to comfort and support his friends and family, but I cannot. For those that have not seen this https://www.steverhoadesmemorial.com/

take care my friends,
Cody Smith
art ruggiero

Re: Steve's Memorial

Post by art ruggiero »

i knew him only on the phone and the forums. he helped me with advice several times and hooked me up with chip mate for a question and answer session on the 44/77 we were both former alchohol drag racers sorry i never met him face to face art ruggiero
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Cody-You just said, what many of us feel. THANK YOU :!:
Respectfully,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
LazyM

Post by LazyM »

Cody,

Can't say I knew Mr. Rhoades in any format other than one order that I placed with him...send a check AFTER I receive the product...really? That in and itself speaks volumes and wished I had a chance to meet the man.

As you are well aware, the Boss and I have moved south to...warmer?...climes (snow in GA and FL..seriously??). Anyway, one of the downsides of moving away is from the many friends I had to leave behind, especially those made in this particular forum. It seems this shooting venue seems to breed close confidants and friends. Being of an age wherein I am fully cognizant that today is a blessing, and tomorrow may not have the same number of friends around as yesterday (Still miss you dearly my friend, Mr. Simon!), I truly attempt to thank those closest to me for being my friends. It ain't easy...but definitely necessary.

In that vein, please say hello to all of my friends at Carpenter, miss all the shooting I had there, and hope to shoot there again soon. For all others here, I hope I get the chance to meet you and enjoy your company for as long as the good Lord allows it to happen as well.

May you all be as blessed as I have been with such good friends!

Brian