A nice stick of wood!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

A nice stick of wood!

Post by mdeland »

Doing a simple wrap around point pattern on a Ballard Pacific stock and thought some would like a look at the marble cake in the grain.
Sorry about the light reflection, this was the best I could get after trying several different positions.
20 lpi checking is about all the grain would hold well.
mdeland

Re: A nice stick of wood!

Post by mdeland »

I'm always amazed at how checkering makes the grain stand out as I've heard some comment about checkering used to hide flaws. Makes sense when one thinks about it as the grain is exposed in 3-D after checkering as apposed to a single plane before hand.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

a nice piece of wood is worth the money.
here are two of mine.. Ken
IMG_2734.JPG
IMG_2737 (1).JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for sharing that, I never get tired of looking at nice wood!
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

mdeland

The stock wood is very nice, but I am even more impressed with the beautiful checking. You are truly an artist with steady hands to carve 20-LPI checkering especially around the curves of the wrist and grip. Plus, you certainly have the confidence and guts to attempt such an endeavor where there is no chance of erasing a mistake. Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted with updates of your progress.

Good Shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the complement . I seldom get to work on such a thoroughly and evenly marble caked piece of wood that is worth showing others. The checkering already makes the grain stand out and will even more so when I finish pointing up the pattern , sanding out the over runs and applying the sealer.
Now to figure out a pattern for the forearm that will complement the butt stock. Been looking at Dutcher's Ballard book for some ideas.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Kenny s, I really like how the grain is laid out in your first two picture with feather at the butt and the grain straightening out into the wrist as this is a good lay out for the most strength in the stock.
The Bur rough is very pretty as well but is often a bugger to checker having soft spots and is not very strong for the wrist of a stock so when you go to prone don't put your weight on it to the ground or you will risk cracking.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

what do you use for a finish?? It looks very nice by the way!!!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm told what is on the stock now is tongue oil but I like to seal them up first with Spar urethane from Minwax which comes in an air-sol can and is very thin and penetrates well. After that dries I go over it with True-oil then rub it out. It looks like a pure oil finish but is much better sealed against moisture with the Spar Urethane undercoat seal which is water proof not just resistant.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

thanks...
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Just about done. The spar urethane has been applied , brushed in and is drying to seal it and harden the diamonds. I'll go back after it is dry and point up all flat topped diamonds and define boarders and give it another seal coat.
This wood is so nice it will make the checkering receded into the back ground and complement the overall appearance of the stock which is what it should do along with enhancing the grip. Wish it were mine! :lol:
BFD

Post by BFD »

Very nice. One day, I hope to be a competent checker.

3 G&Ts A beer and two no-name flambaes to the breeze, life is good.

WHY ARE YOU NOT HERE?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

If I can so can any one else, just takes a bit of instruction and plenty of patience. Go for it !
I do have to use hand tools though and I have a power checkering unit but the carbide wheel will make a plume of dust and the "ought ohs" are Pee your pants, instant and impressive! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Here's a stock on a Browning BPCR I sold some time ago.
Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Oh yeah, now were talking spectacular, crotch wood? I'm always amazed how nice our own Black Walnut can be compared to the French, English and Turkish stuff found on the worlds finest guns.
What did the other side look like Wayne! Perfect layout for grip!