Re: Checking your bore for carbon buildup

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Why delute the Windex?
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

So I took Donny Ray Rockslinger's advice and had me some Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend and Gun Oil delivered...

Today was my first chance to get out and shoot in over a month. I sent 100 rounds downrange, wiping with Eric's bore wipers loaded with M Pro7 followed by a dry patch. Accuracy seemed good although my trigger control was shit. Temp was running about 70 degrees.

Funny thing when I got home. I uncorked the Montana Extreme and followed the directions on the can. Nylon brush and scrubbed the shit out of that bore, and for the first time, I removed a moderate amount of leading from the rifle. Not a heavy amount. More like a "light to medium" amount. Something I might expect from one of my lever actions. My bullets are sized .459", 16-1 alloy, lube is Emmert's Improved. I seat into the lands about .065-.070" (little more than case head thickness). Barrel is an 18" twist.

My load is 73.2 gr 1.5F Swiss, 535 gr Brooks New Postell, .060 Walter wad, parchment paper wad under the bullet, 40 cal Whatman filter paper over flash hole wad, annealed Starline brass.

Opinions welcome! I trust you guys like I trust my wife.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The only 45-70 I get up around 73 grains with for shooting inside of 800 yards is an original trapdoor.

Everything else rounds out between 57-62 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 for those distances with the Lyman Postel which I think is similar to the BACO Postel. Depending on the rifle in 18 twist you just might find a sweet spot in that range. If not do a second test starting at 61-66 grains.

The ladder load method Rick Moritz talks about is something you could try at 200 yards to get an idea of what your individual rifle likes. The goal is to find out what makes the rifle happy. If the rifle is happy you will be happy also. Sorta like if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

If you want to shoot past 600 yards in competition you might have to try a different bullet to increase over all loaded cartridge length. 45-70's are winning 1,000 yard matches and 45-70's loaded between 57-62 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 are winning silhouette matches.

A 45-70 loaded with a 535 grain $ bullet and 57.0 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 won the Desert International Midrange Matches in 2021 in very difficult conditions. (500 & 600 yards)

You first have to decide what you want to do with the rifle before you set out to perfect a load for that purpose. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I ran a couple of ladder tests and ended up with this load. The node between 73 and 73.5 all showed velocity right at 1260 fps on the LabRadar. Within 1fps of each other. I loaded up ten rounds each and shot groups, ended up picking this one. My OAL is 3.070”.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I experienced the same thing when using Mpro-7 wiping after grease groove bullets., except I was using patches wet with the stuff and then riced out. After the initial string of rounds, I quit the wipers and just used a nylon brush and pushed 2 riced patches.
The lube my rifles prefer when shooting grease groove is Bullhsop Nasa, with SPG being a very close second.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Curious Johnny V. What was the range in weights of your powder charge, ie, at what weight did you start and at what weight did you end, and were there any gaps in the weights?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

May I suggest you begin with a powder charge that gives about 1140 fps and work up?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Originally, I had started at 67 grains and began working up. My ladder tests are in .1 gr increments. All powder is dispensed through an RCBS Matchmaster, dropped through a 24" tube, and compressed with a BACO compression die. My bullet has the front two bands reduced for seating into the lands as well. There are some smaller nodes back down the scale, but none were more than a .3 gr spread from top to bottom, and they all varied by more than the 1 fps of this node. I shot ladder tests all the way up to 74 grains. My velocity with loads in the 67 grain range were sub-1100 fps. I liked this particular node because it was twice as big as the others, the velocity spread was 1fps, and I felt like 1260 fps might do OK at the Quigley. I'm hoping to use this rifle primarily for BP silhouette after I get my CPA 45-90 and my Shiloh 45-100 delivered.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Thank you for clarifying the intended use, it helps.
Using 0.10 grain increments seems a bit tight when some use 0.50 or 1.0 grain spread between shots on the initial ladder loads.
The bullet with two reduced bands explains the 67.0 grain starting point.
Your loading procedure sounds about right and it is hard to argue with 1 fps extreme spreads.
Once you get the fouling control issue in hand you should be set for the Q.
Good luck!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

0.1 grain loads in ladder loads with BP in heavier calibers makes my head explode, but more power to you. I do believe the range time shooting to improve actual shooting discipline is far more important. At my age it’s a dream, but carry on.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Hey guys,

All the recent discussions on loading, shooting & ladder tests is wwaaayyyy off the subject of checking & removing bore carbon.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com