Barrel length/Velocity

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Randy Bohannon

Barrel length/Velocity

Post by Randy Bohannon »

How is maximum and minimum barrel length determined before it becomes to long or to short for a given cartridges maximum velocity ?

I am trying to determine optimal barrel length for the 40-50 SBN , will 26” round barrel achieve maximum velocity with a 330-360 grain bullets @ 1200 FPS or in that neighborhood ? No consideration for sight radius ,how much barrel needed
to burn all the powder. I have no idea how this is determined or can it be done with BP cartridges, I am building a Military Carbine for deer and Antelope 26” is longest barrel barrel offered on the 1874 Carbine model. I could make a 26” barrel work for silhouette if the mood strikes me…. I think.
powderburner

Re: Barrel length/Velocity

Post by powderburner »

Mine is 26 and while I haven’t chronographed it I did shoot a sillouette match with it and it knocked down every animal with a 289 gn bullet.
Although the ram went slow.
It gets to the 600 yd target as fast as a 40-70 shot beside it With the light bullet.i have shot it some in the winter and it did not produce any unburied powder on top of the snow.
Other than those observations I have no scientific proof of what it does.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Years ago, we took a 26" and a 34" in 45-110 and chrono graphed them with the same loads and bullet weight, there was not a nickels worth of difference.
Black powder is more of an explosion not a burn...

Kirk
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

Randy.
I am getting 1328 fps with the RCBS 300CSA with 51 grains of 1.5fg Swiss. I am wiping between shots and using it on chickens and pigs. My 40-50 SBN has a 30" barrel.

Cheers,
Steve
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Thank you gentlemen, I have no worries then. I am excited although a wait to play with this cartridge.