Crossticks and Recoil

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Crossticks and Recoil

Post by Perentie »

I am just building myself a new set of 48" sticks for sitting, as I now find it too hard to get up off the mat.
Researching these I find discussion on what to line them with for the barrel to rest on, and how to make them friction free.
Now in my travels to BP shoots where sticks are used I have never seen the sticks stay still while the barrel slides through them. No matter if spikes or blades, leather strips or whatever , the sticks still pull back.
Does this make a difference?
Years ago in my Gun Digest collection I saw a photograph of a barrel sitting on a peg with the fired bullet just exiting the muzzle. The barrel had not moved.
If this applies to our rifles then the bullet has left before the sticks move so no problem.
If however the recoil happens before bullet exit then stick movement may well alter the final impact on target.
If the sticks are leaning forward , recoil may pull them higher as they come back in an arc. Conversely if vertical or leaning back the arc would be lower.
Do other shooters lean their sticks forward or back or try and keep them vertical ?
Someone with a high speed camera to take photos like the one I saw in GD would help in knowing what to do.
In the mean time I am going to make just a couple of leather sleeves to slide over the top of the sticks and see how that works.
John Bly

Re: Crossticks and Recoil

Post by John Bly »

Theoretically when the bullet starts moving forward the rifle starts moving backwards. With the mass ratio the rifle moves very little by the time the bullet exits the muzzle but it does move. I use felt on my sticks. I have for years and now I use an adhesive backed felt. I once was shooting with someone else and using their sticks which had leather on them. I was not shooting as well as I expected so I changed to my sticks the next relay and shot better. I suspected that the leather was stickier than the felt and the rifle was not acting as usual. This is just my opinion and it's worth just what you paid for it.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I’ve been using these for many years. Bought them at the 1st Raton match I attended back in 2001 but don’t remember who made them as the label has worn off. As you can see the barrel rests on a slip-on felt pad. I’ve watch others shoot using it & the sticks do not move appreciably, at least not that I can determine. I assume it’s not only due to the felt pad but also the wide blades which are maximum legal width.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

Not just a theory, recoil starts when the primer is ignited and the bullet starts to move. POI is affected by a list of things from where your barrel is on the sticks and everything else between that and your shoulder pocket.
Keep that whole chain consistent. Like John, I believe an adhesive backed felt on your sticks is best. Less likely to push your sticks around like leather that is usually tackier.

Robert G.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pierenyi Rg Christian’s would like you to send him an email or pm on the crossticks question
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Buffalo Arms carries the felt ones like Texasmac illustrated. I wore through the first set and am now on the second which suggests the barrel does move back and forth in the V.

However, you specified you shoot from sitting and that may present additional variations as the only sitting I use is at 300 yards.

AND, from sitting the distance from the ground the barrel rests varies widely depending on the shooters chosen sitting position.

I use round hardwood dowels for the legs.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I suspect Don McDowell intended to post Richard Christianson for you to PM on this forum.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks for all the comments. It seems as if felt is the go. I will order some. Just got a coat of timber dressing on yesterday.
I was hoping Texas Mac might do a project on muzzle movement with photos. :) :) :)
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 am I suspect Don McDowell intended to post Richard Christianson for you to PM on this forum.
Sorry, unless I have a posters signature to click on I have no idea on other methods to PM. Bit ignorant on this stuff :( :(