My Sharps is Getting Close

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RudyN

My Sharps is Getting Close

Post by RudyN »

I received my sink or swim letter earlier this week, so I called Shiloh and gave them my CC information. Now all I have to do it wait until the production run starts. I ordered the Sharps in March of 2021 so about a year and a half isn't too bad.
Randy Bohannon

Re: My Sharps is Getting Close

Post by Randy Bohannon »

They started my 1877 last August still don’t have it, not a fancy one either .With the way this government is operating I wonder how much of that causes a slow down.
What did you order ? 1874, 1877 ,Cartridge , barrel contour, length,any upgrades ? I’m always curious what other guys choose.
Now the hard part,anticipation is the worst part not what they cost .
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

I was told about a week ago that the rifles I placed an order in June of '21 would "probably" go into production around the first of the year. Sounds like they are pretty much on track with that estimate. Since inquiring minds would want to know. 1874 #3, 44-77 half oct/round, 26" and a #3 1874, 28" octagon, 40-70 SS. I'm pretty jazzed about the configuration of the 44-77, I have one, with the same details in 50-90, it's a great hunting rifle.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Jeff ,

Knowing what I know now having a Shiloh 1874 #3 in 40-70 SS for over 15 years brass is going to be a issue I have no doubt. Consider the 40-50 SBN and make your own brass from 45-70 ,near identical ballistics ,will do most of what the 40-70 SS does with consistent brass and rim thickness. If you can get at least 100 pieces of the Jamison 40-70 SS brass then I might consider another 40-70 SS .The stretched 30-40 Krag was dismal with variable rim/web thickness and Jamison brass is excellent but out of business and who knows if Hornady will make 405 Winchester brass again ,you have a better chance of finding that then the Jamison brass.
I have a 1874 Military Carbine on order for the 40-50 SBN, might get changed to a #2 1877 26” round barrel with pack hardened finish,
I would love a 44-77 but not available in the 1877, brass would be issue for me as well.
No matter what you will have the best available at any time.
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

Randy,
Yes, your exactly right. Brass is and will likely be pretty challenging for the foreseeable future. I managed to accumulate a couple hundred rounds of 40-70 SS brass before I placed my order. I was under the impression that the 405 brass wouldn't work in the standard Shiloh chamber. I have access to a quantity of that. It would be great if it did.The 44-77 on the other hand, has been a tough customer, found a set of RCBS dies but still no brass. Don't need many, all of my rifles are for hunting. I do have a 40-50BN in a #1. Great caliber. Most of the deer hunters here use a 45-70 with the short Hornady FTX ammo. They usually toss it due to the hassle reloading the short brass. I have them save for me with the offer to buy but they are happy that someone even wants it. It makes great 40-50 brass. Unfortunately, Ohio doesn't allow bottleneck cartridges for deer hunting so it will be going to West Virginia in October for antlerless season/bear season. Pretty pumped, I've caught six different bears on cameras since May so chances are real good I won't see anything:)
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Funny, I ordered in March 2021 a Hartford #3, 28", Heavy oct., 40-50SBN and have not heard anything. I also have a .44 1863 Hartford of the same configuration and was thinking of swapping them cause I worry they may stop 1863s as in the past.

Just wondering,
Charles
Griff

Post by Griff »

I believe that Shiloh bases their production lots on barrel type (e.g. 30" standard octagonal barreled rifles are in a different production lot from 28" half-round barreled rifles and 30" heavy octagonal barreled rifles are in their own lot). As a result of this, an order for a rifle with one barrel type may get bumped ahead of another order depending on barrel types.

I learned this to my regret when I decided to change barrel length and got bumped into a later production lot. Thus my total wait time was increased.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Ordered mine in February 2021. Nothing yet
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

You did good in getting your brass before ordering the rifle, the 405 Winchester brass rims have to be worked to make them viable. I know of no one who doesn’t like the 40-50 BN that has one.
32” round barrel for the 1877 went into production last August(1 year ago)problem with the fore end, had a crack, so the rifle was being fitted to a barreled action when the problem was discovered. New fore end from Cecil Fredi ,Shiloh took care of all of that, nothing for me to do. That was six months ago, the rifle does have AA finish so that might take up some time. It is impossible to know where it’s at now until they call and say it’s done. I’m picking this one up.
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

Mine is nothing fancy. It is a Sporter #1 in 45/70 with a standard 30" barrel and the standard buttplate. So that may be the reason it is coming along fairly quickly, for Shiloh Sharps that is.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I got a #3 Sporter in 45/110 a short while back. I ordered thru Bill Goodman and had it in about 6 or 7 months even with the covid shut down. Best $200.00 I ever spent.
Silver Eagle

Post by Silver Eagle »

That’s great to hear. My 74 saddle rifle was ordered June 17 2021