My Shiloh Journey

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Sudbeck

Re: My Shiloh Journey

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

I was told that I am about a month away; initial delivery was August, 2020 but for the virus. I am a sucker for wood so one of my upgrades was “exhibition” with most of the other frills. I have also sent two Miroku Winchester’s to Turnbull for their magic - I lean toward a few nice rifles vs volume; these days, I look at my rifles more than I shoot them so I will have lookers that I can hold and talk to. Another Shiloh may be on the horizon if the stock market keeps going - nice rifles are definitely my addiction. The waiting times just seem forever especially at my age, so I wait like an excited young child.
Griff

Post by Griff »

MikeT wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:23 pm Griff,

Since you may have a lot of time on your hands now, how about sharing the specifications
of the rifle you will be expecting next year.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
It seems that whenever someone gives the specifications that they're planning on, others jump in (not in a bad way) to offer alternatives. Everyone has opinions based upon their personal preferences and intentions. No doubt that will happen here, but that's OK--I understand.

Here are my final specifications. Keep in mind that I'm trying to duplicate common rifles from the early 1870s buffalo hunt. I'm basing this on several rifles detailed in Sellers' and Marcot's books as well as other sources.

Hartford model in 44-77 with a 30" heavy octagon barrel, polished. Standard wood with a military buttplate and brass escutcheons. Fireblued screws, Lawrence rear sight, Distant Thunder buffalo hunter tang sight and #111 globe front sight. I've asked that it be marked with "Calibre 44" on the top flat and "2 1/4" on the right flat, "upside down" so to speak. It was a little unclear if they could oblige on that.

I was planning to compromise a little and go with the standard color case hardening. I'm not sure that it's worth another $300 plus to me, but I could be persuaded. If I had been entering the next production lot, I'd have skipped it, but with the unforeseen delay, I may check the couch cushions and pockets of clothes that I haven't worn in a while and see if I can scrounge up the money...

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Griff,

Yours with 32" and 40-50BN (easier to get brass and still 100% originality) is my order. Also to basically make an early Hartford or 1869ish. On my originals all have 30" barrels one is 44-77. I personally like the standard mat barrel finish over the polished. My reason is that the originals have a sort of mat blue not a glossy blue which makes a Shiloh look like a Pedersoli to my eyes. As for barrel weight the heavy is the only option but be aware that the Shiloh is a bit smaller dimensionally than the originals and that is why I opted for 32" which yield similar rifle weight. As for case finish I opt for standard since the bone really is not a dramatic change to the appearance and lets face it, it is not an original Sharps. So the standard case and barrel finish is truly a modern interpretation of an original. JMTCW,

Regards
Charles
semtav

Post by semtav »

You guys are almost making me feel guilty for cutting in line !!! Almost 8)
16 lb 45- 2 7/8

downside is I only got to spend 12 hr with it before I had to put it away til fall. and half of that was sleeping.
No I didn't sleep with it. Wife put her foot down on that idea :D
16 lb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff

Post by Griff »

I decided to go ahead and get the pack harden finish. I think that it looks better, and it's more authentic. The only reason not to get it is the money. I fear that years down the road, I might regret if I didn't pay the extra money, but I doubt that I would regret having spent that money years from now. The upgrade also helps soften the disappointment that I'm feeling because of having an extra long waiting time. Every time I think about that, my heart sinks, but at least now I have an additional feature to look forward to.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
sackett

Post by sackett »

Your 2 year wait really isn't so bad. To put your wait time into perspective, my Shiloh took 5-6 weeks shy of 5 years to get (ordered in 1994-1995 time frame). Shiloh # 2 should be just shy of 2 years.
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'm afraid that my wait will be pushing (or longer than) three years. I ordered the rifle in August, 2019, but it appears that I just missed the last production lot for 30 inch barrels. They are scheduled to do a run of 32 and 34 inch heavy barrels next, then (maybe) a run of lightweight barrels. Possibly after that will be a run of 30 inch heavy barrels, but I'm not sure. I don't have a good grasp of how long we're talking about, but it will be well into 2022.

Once I have the rifle in hand, it won't matter much, but in the meantime, I'm quite disappointed. The original estimate was for 18 months, but it's not working out that way. This is a retirement gift from my bride. We knew that the gun wouldn't be finished prior to my April 2020 retirement, but we didn't plan on it being over two years later...
Dangerous Freedom
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Griff,I know how you feel about the delay. I ordered a 40-90BN in a heavy round barrel configuration before your order. I had been advised it might be ready in November of last year. It went to be checkered in February of this year and just arrived yesterday. It is spectacular! I ordered it as a retirement present to myself. I also have a Shiloh No. 1 in 45-70 and a 45-2.6 LRE. Shiloh builds awesome semi custom rifles. They are not cheap but I believe they are the best rifles bar none, made in North America. Excellent, precisely built rifles take skill, talent, and time to build. I believe the last 12 months have been very trying for all, not the least of which smaller manufacturers like Shiloh Sharps. Try to be patient because it is so very worth it. - Mike
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

Griff,

Stay with the pack hardened metal finish you will not regret it! It's 100% more original than the chemical tiger strip pattern which is their standard finish.
I commend you on your choice of appointments, I did similar on my last one! The only thing that I neglected was the caliber marking - you did not, very nice touch! Also keep in mind that the length of pull on Shiloh's are about 14" - 14-1/4" something you may want to take into account.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the additional comments, gents. I also appreciate the fact that you can understand my disappointment.

I wish that there was a "like" button or something. I read, contemplate and appreciate all of the input offered here.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
BML

Post by BML »

I will be at 3 years of waiting in 20 days.
Griff

Post by Griff »

My (almost) final payment to Shiloh is going out in the mail today along with my "Distant Thunder" tang sight for them to mount. I started this thread in October 2019 and I've appreciated the info that I've received from all of you. I've also appreciated being able to tell the story of this process to people who understand. Not everyone that I know understands. They just can't imagine spending that much money and waiting that long to get a rifle which shoots ammo that you virtually can't buy, one...shot...at...a...time. You folks get it, though, and I appreciate that.

I'm hoping that the rifle will be completed in the spring and I'm planning to drive out and pick it up in person, combined with visiting a couple of our children in Montana and North Dakota as well as some historic sites. It's been a long time since we've been east or north of Big Timber and we're hoping to spend a few weeks in the process.

In case anyone is wondering, the final configuration for this rifle is the same as what I listed last April. Here's a quote:
Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:11 pm
Here are my final specifications. Keep in mind that I'm trying to duplicate common rifles from the early 1870s buffalo hunt. I'm basing this on several rifles detailed in Sellers' and Marcot's books as well as other sources.

Hartford model in 44-77 with a 30" heavy octagon barrel, polished. Standard wood with a military buttplate and brass escutcheons. Fireblued screws, Lawrence rear sight, Distant Thunder buffalo hunter tang sight and #111 globe front sight. I've asked that it be marked with "Calibre 44" on the top flat and "2 1/4" on the right flat, "upside down" so to speak. It was a little unclear if they could oblige on that.
I did go ahead and add pack hardening to the order since I had extra time to save the money because of the unforeseen delay discussed previously.

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Any time just dissolves when your rifle arrives. A thing of beauty is a joy forever as they say. Think you'll be pretty happy with your 44 x 2 1/4" ..with the bone case colouring, fire blued screws and the D.T. buffalo rear.. it will look every bit the part and perform as well if not better than you might imagine. Just keep picking up cases when they show up or place an order through BACo if you havent already. Makes me want to order another... :roll:
rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Griff

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the encouragement, JB. I'll be glad when I have the rifle in hand; there has been a lot of dreaming behind it. I did pick up a fair amount of brass from BACo a year or so ago. Hopefully I'm set for a while...
Dangerous Freedom
Griff

Post by Griff »

Well, Onna called today to say that my rifle is completed. We're hoping to head over to Big Timber around the middle of next week to pick it up. I ordered this rifle in person on August 12, 2019, three years and six days ago. As previously described, there was an unexpected delay, but it appears that the wait is nearly over.

Thanks again, folks, for the advice and encouragement. I'll post some pictures when I have it in hand (and can bear to set it down long enough to take the pictures).

Griff
Dangerous Freedom