A question on Spirit levels

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rorey Sisson

A question on Spirit levels

Post by Rorey Sisson »

Boys around the campfire, would it be a good choice to use a spirit level on a 28" barreled . 45-70 Sharps? Or is this item used on longer barrels? What is the advantage?
I've just been wondering. Seems the only photos I've ever seen, the spirit levels were used on 30" or longer barrels. Thanks for any imput here. :roll:
God bless America, and the folks in our military.
Ted Kramer

Post by Ted Kramer »

Don't think barrel length is really a factor here as to have a level or not to have one. The purpose of a level is to keep your rifle from being held cockeyed when you have the rear sight elevated for shooting longer distances and to maintain consistancy in sighting, shot to shot. And when that rear sight is jacked up quite high, just a bit of tilt either way off from level will make quite a difference in where your bullet hits. I'd say if you are gonna shoot past 200 yds, a level is really going to help. From 200yds and closer, maybe not necessary.
Rorey Sisson

Post by Rorey Sisson »

Thanks Ted, that makes good 'cents' to me.
I just think it's fasinating for these long range shots to me made with these old style Sharps rifle, using sights such as we are discussing.
This is such a great forum to learn about all this. My thanks for your answer. :)
God bless America, and the folks in our military.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Rorry,
If you are shooting at 1000, and your rifle is tilted 1 degree, that would be the same as adding10-11 minutes of windage.
Ihad ont of the Pedersoli sights that adjusted windage by tilting the staff, looked good on the rifle, shot good at 100-175. but adding windage, you also had to ad elevation as the windage adjustment resulted in a curve of the sight angle.
You know there are only 5 - 6 people in my state that are truly Experts in most phases of firearms and reloading. But you know, every time I walk into a gun shop or sporting goods store, I MEET ONE OF THEM. That is who I gave the sight to.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Hi All.

This cant angle kills a lot of long range shooers.Out of curiosity lets take Kennys big .45-110 and say it has a 34" barrel the sight offset is 39" like mine,and the sight is set about 3.25 above the bore.The bullet is my 550 gr Hoch that has a BC.of about .505 the velocity is 1350 fps. the cant is 0.

At 1000 yds it drops about -128.8 MOA. and say the wind drift is blowing a full factor of 10 MPH it will drift about 8.9 MOA.

Now lets put a 1 deg.cant on it with everything the same that bullet will drift 11.3 MOA@1000 and the drop will be about -128.6.

At 10 deg the drop is about -124.9 MOA and the drift is about 33.2 MOA.But notice the rise in the elevation,interesting eh?

Unless you can hold that rifle the same shot for shot that 24.3 MOA is a long way at 1000 yds for 10 degs,thats 243" or 20' that is why that Buff ran over the hill. :roll:

Lp.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I guess I should have mentioned those numbers are for a 100 yd zero.for a 200 yd zero the 10 deg cant will change to -116.3 drop and drift will change to 33.2 MOA.

Lp.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

And I think Ron Heillman of Washington State makes one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. And it won't break your bank. r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net , tell him Ken sent you.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Bill Falk

Post by Bill Falk »

Howdy, I just put a Ron Heilman spirit level front sight on my Shiloh this afternoon. It fits the .4375 dovetail perfectly,looks good and is a first class sight. My old eyes can even see the level which is inside the globe with a skylight at the end of a 34' barrel. Tomorrow it shoots. Regards
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have to go along with the contention that barrel length is not really a factor in the virtues of a spirit leve front sight. As The Trigger Dr. pointed out, the greater the distance you are shooting, the greater the amount of error will be caused by any canting of the barrel.

There are a number of really good spirit level front sights available. My personal favorite is the one made by Ron Heilman. I only have four of them so far though. I need to give Ron a call and order a few more.
Lee Stone