Montana Vintage Arms

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Butch

Montana Vintage Arms

Post by Butch »

I am getting ready to order a Hartford Model however my eyesight is not as good as it used to be so I will more than likely add optics to my rifle. I read a short article by Clint Smith in the November 2003 issue of Guns Magazine about a scope made by Montana Vintage Arms. His review had nothing but good to say about the scope. Anyone out there have one or used one? How rugged are they? How clear is the optics? Mil-dot or fine crosshairs?

Thanks
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Butch, Iif I am not mistake you can get either fine cross hair or fine cross hair with mil-dot. A friend has one and while he is still getting used to using it, it is a fine scope. I will most likely get one when I have the means. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Big Gun

Post by Big Gun »

Omaha...open your private messages.
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

My friend has the short scope and the MVA mounts. Hard to get fine adjustments because of the length of the scope. I suggest you get the long one. My friend's feedback is positive and he shoots it well.

Bob Marrone
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

I have the 23 inch MVA scope with mil dot. It is a fantastic scope. I have shot it in 5 BPCR Silhouette matches and have been very well pleased. It does allow you to see the targets if you have fading eyesight. Some people have the misconception that with a scope their scores will magically go up. I have not found this to be true. In fact I shoot my MVA tang sights better. For some reference I am a AAA shooter and have shot 3 AAA scores and 1 AA and 1 A score in the 5 matches I have used the scope. The last 5 matches I shot the tang sight I had 3 AAA scores and 2 AA scores. The average using the scope was 20.8 and the average for the tang sight was 21.8. You still have to deal with the same conditions of wind, mirage, light etc. as you do when shooting the tang sight. The scope will help keep some people shooting that now have trouble seeing a tang sight. The MVA is an excellent scope and has added another aspect to the silhouette game for me. I was asked if I thought that it was fair for a scope to compete against a tang sight at the last match. We did not have enough scope shooters for a separate class so they were thrown in with the tang sights. Based on my observation and experience and scores I don't see a problem. However with that said I will not shoot my scope gun in a match that does not have a scope class. There are too many with the preception that the scope is such a great advantage. In reality I don't think there is any advantage. I think the advantage comes in the shooting ability of the shooter and not the scope. The nationals at Raton using a tang sight was 93 for a winning score. In scope match it was an 88.

The bottom line is the MVA is a great choice. Sorry for being so wordy. I do like the mil-dot better as I have shot both.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)