Why Borchardt ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Right on Wolfie, you must have my list of wants. My wife just happened to be listening to me for once and heard me refer to my "next Shiloh", she said you mean you want another one?? I said what do you mean "one"?? :lol: :oops: :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

New to all this so bear with me....

What is a Borchardt? To quickly step over it, I know, it's a rifle :) Can anyone direct me to information/pictures?

Thanks....
N2

Post by N2 »

cgdavid - Sharps Model 1878, designed by then Sharps president Hugo Borchardt. While not the most attractive of the Sharps, probably the best and certainly the most advanced single shot of the era. Dave Gullo has done quite well in Creedmoor events with his. With Al Story in New Mexico (home of the BPCR Nationals) and soon Shiloh (huge NRA benefactor) both producing Borchardts, how long do you think the NRA can hold to their misguided and arbitrary rule keeping the Borchardt out of BPCR silhouette? Let's hope not long. The Steven 44 1/2 was bad enough, but every time I see a Miller at a silhouette match I want to throw up. Why that rifle didn't cause the stir the 35-55 cartridge did is beyond me. - Nick
bubba

Post by bubba »

Anybody who's interested in these old Borchardts and has some gunsmithing skills might want to check out the link I'm going to try to post below. Could make an interesting winter project. I don't know enough about them to know if it's a "find" or not, but thought I'd put it in here in case anybody's interested. http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=12718626
TYRVR

Flame finish:

Post by TYRVR »

I would bet a stack of nickels that the barreled action shown has been in a fire, that crusting and weakness of springs is a dead give-away. If it has, it is DANGEROUS to shoot,especially with a smokeles powder factory load, I note the current bid, Barnums Ghost must be smiling.

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

TYRVR - I was thinking the same thing (fire) myself. Another clue is the bent barrel. It was probably red hot and had a pile of debris fall on it. If anybody believes the Borchardt was painted instead of burned I'd like sell them a New York bridge (built about the same time that rifle was made) cheap!

I wonder if the receiver is salvagable? It's probably warped or dimensionally out of spec. in some way. Think it could it be machined, finished and heat treated, assuming someone wanted to spend the money?
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I think a person would spend more money, time and energy on trying salvage that poor thing than just starting from new. And if it were salvageable, I still could not think of it as an original. Possible a "re-manufactured" original, but still not the same.

I would just lay that poor old shooter to rest in a display case as is. I may be wrong, but I think it's shooting days are long past.

What a shame!! :cry:
Lee Stone
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Question,
Never have seen a Borchardt up close, so was suprised at the short upper tang on that rifle. Is it possible to mount a tang sight?
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT