New Guy with some basic reference questions

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Canoe112

New Guy with some basic reference questions

Post by Canoe112 »

I have shot Muzzle Loaders and BP revolvers for many years and am now becoming interested in the Shiloh Sharps.

I am interested in Sharps that are historically acurate and which apply to two distinct areas.

The fiirst is the traditional buffalo gun with variations, including early scopes.

Also, it is my understanding that the US Army used buffalo guns in .52 cal as "sniper" type weapons. Shots were supposedly placed at one mile.

What are GOOD reference materials for BP guns of this type? I would also like information on the applications of the various calibers and loads.

Please provide as complete a citation as possible. As I am new to this area I may not understand your abreviations.

Any and all information you could provide will be appreciated.

thanks,

Canoe
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

One suggestion is a book by Frank Sellers titled SHARPS FIREARMS. published by Beinfeld Publishing, North Hollywood, Ca. Shiloh might sell the book but Buffalo Arms as well as other companies on Amazon.com sell it. A very good book on the Sharps rifle.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Canoe,
Rich gave you some good advice the mentioned book is the best source book on the subject of Sharps rifles today. Shiloh does indeed sell this book and another fine book on Western era sharps rifles, which is the story of the Freund Brothers, Cheyenne Wyo era Sharps rifle gunsmiths.

Both books are on my shelves and will give you alot of ideas of what a Buffler Sharps looked like.

Give the gals at Shiloh a call you can have them books headed your way Monday afternoon.

Hope this helps you some, and welcome to the world of Sharps rifles!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Canoe,
I would be somewhat remiss if I dont mention another good book on buffalo rifles and that would be MLV's new book on shooting buffalo rifles!

Again Shiloh has this fine book on the shelves, Figure on spending around $100 on these 3 books, money well spent and all great reads and loads of information.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter