rowell dipper

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gaffer

rowell dipper

Post by gaffer »

Greetings form the proud owner of a used but very beautiful Shiloh Sharps 45-70...My question is where can I get a Rowell dipper? I've read the posts on the benifet of a bottom pour vs side and it sounds like great advise..BTW after loosing my Lab of 14 years my new AKC yellow Labs is named Shiloh Sharps
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Gaffer;

Welcome to the best Forum on the internet!

You can get a Rowell ladle from "The Antimony Man".

http://www.theantimonyman.com/

They have all kinds of good and useful goodies.

If you don't already have a good melting pot, Waage sells their model K4757. It is not shown on their website, so you just call them and tell them it is what you want. I think it is the best 25 pound pot available. My Lyman 20 pounder dipper pot is now my back-up pot. My old Lyman 10 pounder bottom pour pot is used strictly for mixing alloy and pouring pistol bullets.

http://www.waage.com/

Hope you find this useful. And again, welcome to this forum.
Lee Stone
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

Rowell Dippers can be obtained in all sizes from:

Advance Car Mover Company
P.O. Box 1
Juneau WI 53039-0001
Phone: 1.920.386.4464

I got a 1# dipper directly from them. They are the manufacturer/distibuter of the Rowell ladles.

Bob Marrone
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
stepnmud

Post by stepnmud »

Watch out, :wink: he'll sell ya a lead thermometer too!

Should have the new Waage pot in a day or two and hope cast up enough for a match this coming weekend.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Gaffer. We just lost our Chocolate Lab of 11 years a month ago. Our new 11 week old Chocolate lab pup (chewing on my chair as I type) is named Shiloh.

Just got an RCBS dipper yesterday. Waage pot on order. Getting my gear together to practice casting 38-55's for my Winchester while my Shiloh #1 sporter in 40-65 is being made. Sometime in April. Will check out the dipper that is so highly recommended. Good Shootin.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lee

How much does the Waage 25 lb. pot cost? I was considering the Lyman 20 lb. dipper, but this sounds more like a commercial unit. How hot can you get your melt with this pot?

Carl
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Carl, the temp you can achieve depends on the type of pot or furnace you chose to purchase. I have an electric pot that goes up to about 975 degrees F. and I have a propane pot that whould literally make the lead bubble if you wished to do so.

I use both pots for different purposes. The Electric 40 # pot for blending my alloy, and the propane pot for casting bullets. The both would work for either, but that is the way I prefer to use them and for specific reasons.

If you are a serious caster, consider getting a 40# pot of either electric or propane. The propane heats quicker, and is easier to control (my oppinion) and just seems to be more efficient. They aare both good however. Just don't get a small 10# pot, you will eventually want a larger one, and the small pots are hard to work with. Hope this helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Carl re the cost of a 25 lb. Waage pot. I just received mine yesterday (thanks to the recommendations from the Forum) and the price was something like $125.00 delivered. Best priced unit around. And based on the experiences of Forum users, one of the most efficient units. A real value.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

OK, that does it, I'm calling them monday and ordering a Waage pot. ha ha ha. This forum has sure cost me a bundle but it's been worth every penny.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Carl

Post by Carl »

I orderd mine yesterday. The guy said he has sold a bunch of these because of this website.

Carl
stepnmud

Post by stepnmud »

Got my Waage K4757 Wed. and had to make the screw adjustment to heat up enough for my 20/1 alloy. After a ph. call to Waage, he said to make the heat adjustment by removing the temp. knob and turn the small screw counterclockwise approx. 1/4 of a turn to a full turn max.. A counterclockwise half turn was about right for me.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I guess I kind of cheated. I set the knob on '8'. Then I pulled it off, making sure I did not disturb the shaft postition and then I adjusted the central adjustment screw inside the shaft so the pot held 800 degrees. That is + or - 10 degrees. Now when on '8' the heater shuts off at 810 degrees and kicks back on at 790 degrees. I think this is a pretty durned accurate pot. And of course I still have the flexibility of up to '10' on the knob. Looks as though my Lyman dipper pot isn't going to get much use. But that's OK. It is comforting knowing I have a back up if the need were to ever arise.
Lee Stone
Carl

Post by Carl »

I just received my Waage model K4757 today. I fired it up tonight and cast up 100 bullets. It's the most pleasent casting session I've had! I've been using an old Saeco dipper pot. This unit is insulated very well , even at 820 degrees the sides of the pot are cool enough to touch briefly. I had to give the thermostat adjustmant screw about a half a turn counter clockwise. With the dial at 10 the pot now runs 850 degrees. This pot is the best value I've seen in a long time. No reason to spend lots of money on a Lyman or RCBS. It has a real commercial quality feel to it. If anyone needs a pot definatly get this one.

Carl