Sharps Hunting Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Josh A.

Sharps Hunting Rifle

Post by Josh A. »

I thought I would let everyone have an idea of what my new Sharps hunting rifle is going to look like. My old Sharps hunting rifle is a 30" barreled 40-70ss LRE with a standard/half barrel (veteran of the famed Swine Jihad). I ordered the new one today.

The new rifle is to be a #3 Sporter, 40-70ss with a 26" standard weight octagon barrel. Blade front and semi-buckhorn rear sight. Ken Hurst is going to do the engraving job in the Nimschke style. Shiloh is going to do their bone-pack case hardening job.

I am shopping now for the European walnut that will be supplied for the rifle and Shiloh is going to do the AA finish on the wood. The wood is going to be highly figured and marbled figure with especially straight grain through the wrist. Shotgun butt with a metal butt plate.

I am hoping that the Paul Jones hunting bullet mould will shoot well in this rifle. If not, he is going to get to cut another one that will.

Did I forget anything?

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
dspeed

Post by dspeed »

Can you elaborate on your wood shopping?
Sacramento Mountain Power Wagons
MLV

Post by MLV »

My new Shiloh hunting rifle should be ready pretty soon. Its going to be a Military style rifle (not carbine) so I can sling it easily. But it will have a steel shotgun butt, double set triggers, and buckhorn rear sight. The front sight will be dovetailed in instead of that post type that is standard. I had a regular military type Shiloh back in the late 80s and it was the best Sharps hunting rifle I've ever had. I thought about getting a .50-70 but decided on a .45-70 in the end.

But wait till you guys see my new fancy rifle that has been five months ordered now. I've owned some fancy Shilohs but this one will be the best!
Josh A.

Wood Shopping

Post by Josh A. »

Dear Dspeed:
Ken Hurst gave me the name of a man that deals in English walnut. I told him what I was looking for and he e-mailed me pictures of some blanks. I am picking out one now and should have it headed here in the next couple of days.

These are really stunning blanks. I can't wait to see one on my new Shiloh.

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Hi Duke

Thanks for the information on the 1874 Military rifle. I have been toying with the idea of getting one myself and also in .45-70. I have been thinking about that exact configuration and sights. I don't think Kirk would go so far as a pistol grip Military rifle. :D I was also interested in at least semi fancy wood on the buttstock or as fancy as Shiloh will go. I think the bone a charcoal would look good on the receiver group, barrel bands and the shotgun buttplate. Let us know when you get the fancy Sharps and how the Military rifle shoots. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Parley Baer,

Rather then a pistol grip stock on a military Shiloh, you might consider getting the add-on pistol grip. I had a friend make one to the Shiloh design and put it on my 50/70 Shiloh Saddle Rifle. I like it better then the standard #1 pistol grip. It seems to fit my hand better, is not as long, and allows me to grip the rifle better. I believe that some officer's model trapdoors had pistol grip attachments added to the rifles and so this modification would be a "period" addition. If you don't like it, you can always take it off and sell it.

Rich
MLV

Post by MLV »

Hi Parley: Will do. I might even take this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon off and drive over to Big Timber and see how things are going over that way. It would sure beat working. How are things with you?

By the way I shot my original Business Rifle yesterday and got some 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. It has a .460 bore, and I'm only using .459 bullets because I already had them loaded. I might try some with 3F and some with unsized bullets to see if things improve. Take care
Josh A.

Hunting Rifle

Post by Josh A. »

I selected the lumber today. An outstanding piece of English walnut, with straight, strong grain through the grip area. I am looking forward to having it in my hands. If the pictures don't lie, it should be nice.

If I knew how to post a picture, I would let everyone see it.

Josh

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

lawrance sights.

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

shilo offers a lawrance sight with three positions.. the buckhorn, then the bottom of the slide and the bar has a sight on it that elevates up to many yards... .. the lawrance i have is about an inch off at 25 yards between the differnt three sights.. i am considering getting a shilo made lawence sight. they are priced right and guarenteed which is more than i can ask for.. my question is.... have any of you used one of thier sights and do they seem to line up from position to position to position between the three separate sights.. .. thanks dave....