What the difference between ______________?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

What the difference between ______________?

Post by Texas Shooter »

To all:

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes but:

After reading Frank Sellers book (several times) I am needing some expert information. I figured you all are the one's to ask.

Here goes:

It mentions repeatedly about a "Sporting Rifle", a "Mid-Range Rifle", a "Long Range Rifle", a "Hunting Rifle". That being said (or typed), Those terms seem to be used interchangeably, or I can't necessarily tell what specific differences they are referring to when those terms are used. Can anyone shed some light or opinions on this subject?

While we are on the subject any information on a "Schuetzen rifle", and a "Buffalo Rifle".

A hunting rifle is- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics.

A sporting rifle is for- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics.

A mid-range rifle is for- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics. Is there a short range rifle? Carbine? How short is short?

A long-range rifle is for- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics.

A Schuetzen rifle is for- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics.

A Buffalo Rifle is- _________________, and has _______________ characteristics.

Does Shiloh use different names for these rifles?
If you can, please be as specific as possible, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Clueless Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Quick comment on general types, as I understand them. Scheutzen rifle is one, generally of a small caliber (32-40 very popular; sometimes 38-55) for Scheutzen target shooting events .. 200 yard offhand targets. While a "Buffalo Rifle", is generally perceived as one of the chamberings originally used by buffalo hunters in the "great harvest" after the Civil War (45-90, 45-110, 50-90, etc.). Long range rifles are used for just that .. target shooting at 800-1200 meters and will be 'Buffalo Rifle' calibers; while a mid range rifle, like a 40-65, would be appropriate for BPCR Silhouette which is 200-500 meters. The 45-70 is described as an 'all around' rifle, great for hunting, Silhouette, and long range events up to 800 yards .. sometimes longer .. depending on the load. Many more knowledgeable responses will follow. Good Shootin!
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Texas Shooter, "MORE RIFLES ARE BETTER THEN FEWER RIFLES", Any questions? Really there is some overlap but each has a specific purpose and is built or designed to optumize the shooters ability with each new rifle. That is your story and you repeat this to my wife at least once a week. Different toys (oops! thats "tools") for different purposes. :D
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Mind you, I'm no expert. But as I understand it Sharps mainly used the terms to describe different 'grades' of the rifles they offered.

The 'Hunter's' rifle was the lowest priced model. Available in limited caliber choices, it had the cheapest sights and poorest finish. Didn't sell very well.

The 'Business' rifle cost a few dollars more than the 'Hunter's' rifle and was a step up. These often had round barrels instead of octagon.

The 'Sporting' rifle was a better grade. Available in many calibers and barrel weights. Had better sights and was better 'trimmed out.' This was the model most of the old time buffalo hunters carried.

'Mid-range' and 'long-range' were the most expensive. These were for the well-to-do long range target shooter. Pistol-grip stocks, long barrels, extra fine finish.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

From my reading of Frank Sellers, I think Hidehunter just gave a very good explanation.
Lee Stone
pete

Post by pete »

Texas Shooter ; I'm new to these rifles too. I think the differences are explained in the description sections for the different types in the book. To make matters worse is there are even different grades of the various types of target models. Originally the target models used at Creedmoor were called Creedmoor's. When the factory moved to Bridgeport they were called Long Range and Mid Range. Grade differences aside generally the main thing they had in common was they had single triggers and weighed less than 10 lbs if they were to be eligible for the Creedmoor range. There seems to have been more variation within the Mid Range models with regards to pistol grip vs. straight grip, buttplates etc. The different grades in the Creedmoor and Long Range also reflect the care and workmanship differences. The chapter on target shooting covers the different ranges and the rifle types used.

The description for Sporting rifles in the book states that these had more variation than any other Sharps model. I believe most of the buffalo rifles were the relatively heavy Sporting models with a few target types. I don't remember reading about a specific "buffalo rifle" model Sharps.

Like Hidehunter said the Business and Hunters models were the more economical models.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

In the Shiloh product line:

Is the Long Range Express basically a #1 Sporter with a Globe and Tang sight included?

Is the Montana Roughrider basically a Hartford with a pistol grip? The options appear to be the same.

Is the Saddle Rifle basically a #1 Sporter with a straight grip?

Can the Sporter #3 and the Hartford can be made into the same rifle?

For the same options they appear to be the same price.

I know many of you may find this tedious, but as I learn about these rifles I find out that:

1) They were/are a marvel of firearm developement

2) They are beautiful and graceful to look at

3) They are not outdated in performance 130 years later

I am very glad a friend of mine recomended this site and company to me.

Thanks,

A Permanently Curious, and sometimes detail obsessive,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Texas Shooter;

You owe that friend for pointing you to the Shiloh site. This, in my humble opinion is the best forum on the internet with some really great folks on it. And the folks at Shiloh are among the best in the world. They will work with you to build the rifle of your dreams.

However, I had better warn you. Once you have spec'ed out your rifle and have placed the order. Very little time will pass before you start mentally designing another one. Believe me, I am speaking from experience. I have two on order right now. The first one is in production as we speak, the second one will probably go into production sometime in the spring. And now I am spec'ing out three more that I would love to put into orders. But that had better wait a while. :wink:
Lee Stone