A "Heel" mounted tang sight.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

A "Heel" mounted tang sight.

Post by Texas Shooter »

Ok guys here we go again,

I've seen what is refered to as, "Heel mounted tang sight". Basically, a tang sight placed back on the stock near the butt plate. I can see that it sure would increase the sight radius, and I'd gladly pay a dollar to the person willing to put their face up against the sight, without having their shoulder on the buttstock, and pull the trigger. :-) Maybe you can, but doesn't look easy.

Sound like, "Americas Funniest Videos" candidate, or in 50-90 a Darwin Award contestant. ;-)

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Heel mounted tang sights were used for creedmore and similar target competitions for the very reason you stated: they extended the sight radius. The weapon was fired from a contorted reversed prone position that is hard to describe but there are pictures around showing the position. Perhaps someone else has a link to a picture they can post.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The one example I have seen of that style of shooting is the old photograph that Axtel uses on the home page of their web site:

http://www.riflesmith.com/

I just do not see how anyone could shoot in such a position, but then, what do I know? I am pretty sure those gentlemen back then would not have used such positions if they didn't work. I just don't see how they could maintain proper control of the rifle.

I seriously doubt that I will ever try it.
Lee Stone