bpcr shooter's are rare

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

Shooting BPCR wear I live and compete in is done by two kinds of people. Those who devot a lot of time to it in eguipment and technology. And those that try and do it mixed in with Western action shooting. The later not being to successful in it. Don't get me wrong, there are some that can do both, but when it comes done to economics and time, the BPCR is the one that falls short. Personally the BPCR only is for me. I get to shoot around 30 to 50 rounds in 2 hour time frame with the obvious challenges. Versus taking time for two days to shoot twelve Cowboy Action action stages at a minute a peice. Do the math, thats two days to shoot a total of 12 minutes. I know the social part is a big thing but waiting to shoot with 25 pards' ahead of me is "BORING" compared to a dozen on the BPCR line. Now cowboy action is a great past-time I know, our club has been doing it for 20 tears now. A big annual event for this little club. 112 smiling shooters this year and half of that already sighned up for next year. But to me BPCR seperates the men from the boys. No wimp loads here.
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

[quote="Stronghorn"]Shooting BPCR wear I live and compete in is done by two kinds of people. Those who devot a lot of time to it in eguipment and technology. And those that try and do it mixed in with Western action shooting. The later not being to successful in it. Don't get me wrong, there are some that can do both, but when it comes done to economics and time, the BPCR is the one that falls short. Personally the BPCR only is for me. I get to shoot around 30 to 50 rounds in 2 hour time frame with the obvious challenges. Versus taking time for two days to shoot twelve Cowboy Action action stages at a minute a peice. Do the math, thats two days to shoot a total of 12 minutes. I know the social part is a big thing but waiting to shoot with 25 pards' ahead of me is "BORING" compared to a dozen on the BPCR line. Now cowboy action is a great past-time I know, our club has been doing it for 20 years now. A big annual event for this little club. 112 smiling shooters this year and half of that already sighned up for next year. But to me BPCR seperates the men from the boys. No wimp loads here.[/quote]
Tim Kauffman

BPCR shooters are rare

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth to this string. I would like to get involved in this sport. Thats why I've got a Shilo (the best) on order. However, breaking into what appears to be a closed circle (atleast here in Central Illinois) turned out to be alot tougher than it should be. I joined a singleshot group, maybe 15-20 guys that meet at a 200 yd range once a month. Everyone used smokeless except a click of 3-4 guys. I guess the BP guys liked being exclusive because when I tried to be friendly, and ask a few questions, the attitude I got was like I was just an ignorant "FNG". (you Vets out there will know what that means). I showed up for two shoots and paid $20.00 for the privledge of getting ignored. So if any of you guys know of an experienced BPCR guy in Central Illinois who doesn't mind making a new friend and giving a little free advice on loading, cleaning, etc. please send me a PM with an e-mail address (after you clear it with him of course). Thanx, Tumbleweed Tim

P. S.: Hey Gunny, I've been trying to get on your Chat room but MSN won't let me register. I keep trying to do it right but when it comes to computers I guess I belong in the dumb room. Oh well, I'm gonna keep at it. Tumbleweed
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Tim Kauffman,

I am really sorry to hear about your experiance with those ---- in Illinois. That is a rare occurance as most ( Ihave found out lately though that not all) of the folks shooting BPCR are without a doubt the friendlest group I have ever run across in any of the shooting sports. As a matter of fact one of the things that makes this sport so great is the people, for the most part they are free with there advice and free to share there findings both good and bad. Now don't get me wrong there are always a few that would be better served by staying home and having another drink or two. But far the most part the people are what make this sport. My advice is to forget those a^%-h**&^ and go and find you some folks that are a little more helpful. I can not believe that this small group of 3 or 4 is represenative of the folks in Illinois. Good Luck!!

I wish I could help you with the MSN thing, we would like to have you over there as a poster. But hell I don't remember how I did it, so there is not much of a chance for me to be of any help. Kelley O is something of a puter guy maybe he will chime in here and walk you through it. Keep trying though.

Gunny
MLV

Post by MLV »

They are having regular NRA sanctioned BPCR Silhouette matches in a place called Effingham, IL. I'll try to find my latest Shooting Sports USA and post the contact guy's address later today. I can't imagine anyone showing up at a regular BPCR Silhouette match and being snubbed. At least I hope it doesn't happen.
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

Tim,
I shoot at Effingham, Illinois. We shoot NRA BPCR silhouette matches the 4th weekend of the month. We shoot both Sat and Sun and even have 2 matches on Sat depending on interest. We shoot a 40 round match plus sighters. Start time is 8:00. I usually get there a little after 7. We had 26 shooter last Sunday. We have shooters from Illinois, TN, Ind, WI, KY, MO. We would be happy to have another shooter join us. We will be shooting Thanksgiving weekend on Sat and Sun. I will probably only make the Sun shoot as we have family coming. I live a little south of Decatur. Feel free to e-mail me if you need more information. Sorry for the bad experience at the 200 yard range.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Tim

I just started doing this BPCR thing this spring after 20+ years of muzzleloaders and have found the guys at Effingham to be very friendly and helpful

We shoot again the 29th and 30th of Nov, come and join us!

The contact person is Brad Smith 217 857-3279
Tim Kauffman

Blackpowder shooters are rare

Post by Tim Kauffman »

I'd like to use this post to publicly thank all you guys for jumping into this string to offer encouraging words and alot of valuable contact info. This provides me with some great starting points for launching into a facinating sport and way of life. I've always been a student of old west history. My ultimate goal is to someday (in a few years) go on a free range buffalo hunt and put that 16 Ib. 50-90 Hartford I have on order (along with some strong cross-sticks) to the use that the Good Lord intended before I get too old to tote it. Once again I deeply appreciate all of this help! Thanks to you all!! Tumbleweed Tim :D
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Tim,

I've been trying for several days to sign in to Gunny's board also and I am a computer guy.

I already have my Passport registration with MSN as I use Hotmail sometimes.

The problem appears to be that MSNs specific log in for Gunny's Board has a dead link.

On the page where you enter your user "handle" for the post, at the bottom is the "log in" button. It is dead. It does not respond when a cursor "floats" over it. When you try to press it nothing happens. The new page does not load.

I'll try futzing with it some more today. Then I'll try to find MSN support, if they have one. I believe the the problem is on MSNs side and relates to the link.

Hal
Tim Kauffman

BPCR shooters are rare

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Hal,
Thanks for your interest in my computer problem. It seems that a good name for the guys at this forum would be: "Band of Brothers".
Tumbleweed Tim
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Tim,

I wasn't able to help either of us a great deal.

The problem still exists today.

The MSN site provides two ways to directly contact their Tech support staff. BOTH of those two different Tech Support buttons are also "dead".

The problem is definately with the MSN site. My guess is they are under a mild "hack attack" and some guy is breaking the links on their buttons.

I will wait about 5 days and give it try again.

This is exactly why all my perosnal and company equipmment is no longer MS based. I eliminated all MS products from my systems two years ago. The MS products are just too prone to attack.

Hal
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

This is an interesting four-page post to read, and I believe all of us are correct. There are now plenty of places to buy BPCR stuff, plenty of places to shoot if one just asks/investigates, plenty of people to talk to about BPCR, plenty of books to buy, plenty of sites to explore etc.. Compared with just five years ago, there is now an avalanche of BPCR out there. My problem is finding the time to do the BPCR thing as much as I would like to. And there are certainly enough opinions to go around and some unusual characters to boot!

BUT.......I believe that we are still a very unique and rare animal in the totality of the shooting sports, especially those among us who still use BLACK POWDER.

I recently had occasion to go to a shooting range elsewhere on a weekend day when the range was all but full. I laid out all my stuff (Do you guys realize how much BPCR paraphernalia we take to a shoot?)and proceeded to shoot at a paper target off of crosssticks in front of the last bench at the end of the line. After only a few shots, I had everyone at the range including two rangemasters watching me. They couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing, with what kind of sights (also my MVA Magnum), with what kind of strange looking rifle (1874), with a powder that smelled to high heaven, used in what kind of muzzleloader etc. I educated a few folks that day and surprised the two rangemasters with the rifle's accuracy, since I ended up giving them each a shot. I had a good time.

We ARE a unique and rare bunch. Don't doubt it for a minute. But use our rarity and uniqueness to educate folks. It's a good thing. And if you don't use BLACK POWDER at all times, well....shame on you. My opinion.