which front sight insert

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gaffer

which front sight insert

Post by gaffer »

Hey Guys thanks for the info on the rowell dipper, a #1 is on order. Now I've been a shooter for 49 years but this BPCR is all new to me. I have two questions. I am shooting a Shiloh Rifle Co 45-70 made approx 1984. It is wearing a MVA long range bufflo rear and a MVA 113 front. Question 1 is which insert is best for the front sight and ques. 2 is where do you hold on each of the four animals. Thanks Gaffer
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Let me preface this by saying I am not the most experienced shooter on this forum, but like all of us I have an opinion which follows:

Question 1 is which insert is best for the front sight:
I use the round aperture [the one with the hole in the middle]. I vary the size depending upon environmental conditions and generally the smallest works for me.

Question 2 is where do you hold on each of the four animals:
The one thing I really like about the MVA apertures are the 4 wire supports to the inner circle aperture. They provide a 4 point reference that I use to center the hole and the target point. Others can elaborate on where they center on the animals as most of my shooting is now delegated to target work. I too would be quite interested in the decision making process for selecting point of aim on the different critters. Particularly those pesky turkeys!!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Where do you hold ON the animal?
Wow!
I am happy to hold the ANIMAL.

I use a front ring aperture - the small size from a Shaver set for my Lyman 17 - and just center the whole critter as best I can.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

For Sihouettes,
I use the pinhead from MVA in my front sight. I use MVA's on all my rifles, buffalo soule on both comp rifles(long range and Sihouette).

I put the pinhead on the chicken as center as I can, if the pinhead is on the bird when the shot breaks i get a chicken.

For the other animials I use the pinhead also, much to the amazment of my spotters and Kirk. As Gunny and Kelley O can attest it works quite well for me. I put the pinhead just at the bottom of the pigs belly, on turkeys I have him setting on the ball and for rams again the ball at the bottom of the rams belly.

This works for me, however its not for everyone I have 20/15 vision corrected and am far sighted.

For Long Range I use Highpower style inserts heavy ring apptures. Made by Ron Snover and for my MVA front sight. These are the best for Bullseye shooting I have ever used and is what most NRA Match Rifle shooters us (style wise). These front apps have stood me in good stead in Long range shooting.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Dan

Post by Dan »

Kenny,

Would your Ron Snover insert work for long range gong shooting? I'm still trying to find something that works on those steel targets at the longer distances? Also, where do you purchase them from?

Thanks!

Dan
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Dan,
I use a pin head at most gong shoots also, but thats just my eyes
if the targets are bulls then the round ones work great for me.

The inserts are advertised in Garbe's mag the BPCR News and are sold by Ron Snover.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter