highest velocity with bp and 45 70?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

highest velocity with bp and 45 70?

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

i almost ordered a 500 grain flat nose bullet this summer, and have foundthat its trajectory can be improved both with 400 grain bullet becouse it is lighter and alows more powder.. (i dont want greased grooves showing outside the case for hunting.) i dont think 500 grains is neccesary for elk or deer, but am open to suggestions.. im looking at 150 yards for me as a maximum practical hunting distance and would likde to get 1300 feet per second, 1400 if possible.. what load would not anger the accuracy crumrudgeon in my 74 sharps std weight barrel.. ? is 70 grains 3f and 400 grain bullet too much for a sharps with badger barrel? i can work up to that much powder if 3f goex is ok.... i talked to a cowboy shooter today and he said to leave plenty of jump between bullet and lands..he may be talking about jacketed bullets tho.. id probably use about 25-1 lead tin ratio for hunting.. im using about 62 grains swiss 1 1/2 with old lyman round nose 400 grain gas check mould.. it seems (by bullet trajectory measurments ) to be doing only about 1100 feet per second.. any comments appreciated.. thanks dave..
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

ffffgDave, Your 70 grain load is not too much. By comparison I will give you my hunting load (works well for deer to elk). Starline brass, neck sized, belled slightly, Fed 215M match primer, news paper wad over primer, 4.4 gr. of xmp5744, 67 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 fg., 0.060" LDPE wad, Lyman 457193 FN, cast 40/1 and sized .458. The above powder load is compressed to 0.465" below the rim. Bullet seated in press with snug neck tension and bell removed. No crimp. The bullet will have about one grease grove exposed. I do not know what the vel. of this load is, however, it is over 1300 fps. Shoots like a house a fire, and the duplex load is cleaner and vel. is up. Good Luck with your load development. The experiments continue.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

45 70 bp and higher vel

i pulled the bullet back so it fits freely into the chamber and maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch jump just to be sure i dont get high pressures.. i guess shooting them will tell me if accuracy is good or bad doing this.. but generally is this ok, or a no-no.. also i size to 459 and expand to 459 and i put some crimp on ths to hold the bullet in with the comressed charge.. im intersted in the tighter neck whithout crimp as stated above, are these h0lding methods 6 of one half dozen of the other?? thanks dave
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the military shot up to 85 gns with a hollow base bullet weighing 400+ gn I have a 385 flat point I have shot at 100 to 150 yds for hunting and have used 80 gns of 3f with good results it does take a lot of compression though.
I have used this load a lot for practice and it hits very hard ,though never chronyed it it will be my hunting load if I ever draw a tag
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

bp and high vel

youl hve to move to montana if you like snow and yuk in the winter.. me and my sons put in for 9 tags and got 7.. and there are over the counter extras if you want them.. .. in fact anyone can get a tag. too many rich geezer down there buing them up i guess.. thanks for the input, im going to try 62 grains 3f tommorrwo.. and maybe 65 and see if my gun likes it.. probably stop at 70 if accuracy is going ok.. i am forced to shoot in a heavily treed area in morning and darkness and etc is horrible shooting conditions, but a bad day of shooting is better than a good day at work.. actually i do both most days right now.. .... good luck dave..
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

dave I grew up in Brownin and I miss the horizontal snow a lot I feel real sorry for you having to shoot in the trees up there we got all this beautiful sagebush and dirt around here At least you can see your misses so I guess it has some good points
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T