Hoch nose pour molds

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Hoch nose pour molds

Post by Lumpy Grits »

This is for you .45-70 b/p shooters that use Hoch molds. Tell what you like and don't like about them. I am looking at the 550 gr. Creedmore 1.410'' to be used in my Shiloh .45-70 w/34'' bbl. This bullet will be used for target shooting only. And what is the length from the bottom of the top band to the base? Thanks for your time on this :D "Lumpy Grits"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

mine measures .6695 or so it has a tapered grease groove and is kinda hard to measure cause I only got the mould, all the bullets are in the cases or the backstop. the dia. on mine measures.4575. been gonna measure it for a while cause they didnt size in a 458 sizer die this was a good reason to dig out the calipers it does ok if I ever would
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Lumpy,

Maybe a bit off topic. I have a Leeth Creedmore, ~544 gr., 1.435" long, with 0.715" driving section. Mine is a base pour, but I've cast with one of Fred's nose pour moulds of the same design.

I find the nose-pour touchier to cast well. You need to keep the nose-pour mould 50 degrees hotter or let the bullet cool less in the mould to get topnotch bullets than with a base-pour. Slight cooling of the nose-pour mould introduces weight variations very quickly.

I know this is a highly personal topic, but my vote goes for base pour.

I have a Hoch .40 mould, and it casts beautiful bullets when cast hot and fast!

Clarence
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

unsized bullets from nose or base pour molds made by the top makers shoot indifferently from what i can tell, and i get just as many rejects either way.

them nose pours gots to be HOTT tho .

i run the mag20 on 10 when casting with them.
mmmm....smell that powder burn!!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thanks to Powderburner and Clarence for the info. Clarence, where do I find out more on "Leeth" molds? :shock: THX "Lumpy Grits"
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Billboy :D THX. for your info. I cast at 750deg. what do you call hot?? :shock:
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

LG,

I do not like how hot the mould has to be to cast bullets. I can get my Rapine pot up to the 925 - 950 degrees F I need to, but man, that is hot. Otherwise the bases do not fill in. Also I am not convinced that the bullet it yields can outshoot my Paul Jones Creedmore #45001.

Bob Marrone
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
dozer

Post by dozer »

I "had" one. It cast great bulets, BUT, as everyone says, pour hot and fast. I converted a Lyman 658 to nose pour and it works great. My conclusion from this was that the Hoch blocks are to small. I run my Lyman at the same time I'm running other lymans or RCBS and all work fine at the same temp and rate.

I normally cast fast but run 3-4 moulds at the same time to keep temp in line. The Hoch caused no end of hair pulling. I had to run it all by itself, as it liked, thus the "had" in the opening line.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Fred Leeth can be reached at 937-833-2865. Talked to him the other day and he told me it was about a five month wait for a mould. Asked him his opinion on base pour compared to nose pour, and basically he told me that with good consistent casting technique there really isn't much difference.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Buckeye... THX for the phone # for Leeth!