Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim Kidwell

American Creedmoor Cup / Regional Creedmoor

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Update on the first day's Creedmoor Cup in Phoenix:

Eron Ahmer - 265
Chip Mate - 260
Dave Gullo - 260
The rest of the group was "back in their dust" per Steve Rhoades.
This is great shooting considering the shooter has no spotter watching for conditions changing at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. The shooter has to do it all and to my way of thinking, it is the epitome of long range marksmanship.

Wish I had more information, but Steve has been pretty busy running and competing in the match. I also miss seeing Doc Lay's name in the list. Doc, if not leading, is usually keeping everyone honest. :) .................................Jim
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Jim, I definitely miss being with the guys this year and have been making the pilgrimage each year since 2006. Dad is terminally ill so staying here at home this year. I've been keeping daily tabs on the shooting though and after those guys it looks like the scores fell off really fast. They had some really switchy tail winds yesterday that would do a 180 while one was in the gun and caused a lot of misses. You don't have a spotter in the Cup so if a condition changes in the few seconds when you go from the scope to the gun you are screwed. The boys from Wyoming must be having a real change in the weather going from snow/winter to mid-high 80's!
Keith Lay
Tasmanian Rebel

I forgot to add an encouraging sign Bryan Youngberg told me it looks like Steve's match has attracted in addition a lot of new shooters this year so maybe the numbers are picking back up.
Keith Lay
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Doc. I am so sorry to hear about your Father :(
Wish there was somedangthing I could do to help you.
You are doing the "right thing" by staying with him :wink:
Respectfully,
LG
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jim thanks for the update.

Keith sorry to hear about your dad.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

2nd day aggregate of Creedmoor Cup:

1st Eron Ahmer - 545
2nd Chip Mate - 525
3rd Michael Rix - 511
4th Dave Gullo - 510
5th Bryan Youngberg - 496

High Paper Patch - Bob Englebach - 470
Heavy Tollofson Rifle Unlimited - K. Wasserburger - 470

That's all I have for now and I hope it's correct considering the source. :) ................................Jim
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Jim,
Ray Hanson was High Senior with a 486. He beat me by one point.
I was able to shoot a 259-6X today with the .40-82.
Had some trouble at 800 with an 86-1X, better at 900 90-4X and a pretty solid 84-1X @1000. Beat Rix on X count for 3rd in today's match.
Nice job by Mike to win 3rd overall as he is suffering with a flu bug.
Chip shot very solid as usual but Aron was on FIRE!!!
Doc, you would have had your work cut out for you but we still missed you.
Kidwell, no one missed you though. :wink: :lol:
I'll have results sometime next week but today was a long day as we had the steak fry and the awards after the match.
Chips' already in bed and it's not 9:00 yet.
I'm headed to the showers.
More tomorrow.
Steve R.
AZ.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Woody

Post by Woody »

Looks like some excellent scores. Wish I was there. Steve tell the guys Woody says "hey" and shoot good today.

I'm in the campground at Friendship waiting for the sun to come up. They have wireless here now, but you have to lift one leg to make a cell call.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Steve,

That 40-82 is coming along. Did you stick with the MicroMiniMoney bullet? was there any fouling issues? So many questions. :) I agree with Dan that a properly designed small calibers (.35 to .40) do not give up a lot to the big .45's MHO.

The weather sounds great:
# Today: Sunshine and a few afternoon clouds. High 81F. SSE winds shifting to WSW at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 55F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Partly cloudy skies. High 82F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.
.....................................Jim
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Well Aron's fire went out today!
He had some misses and Chip didn't.
Chip was M/W with a 271-6X and second was a new local shooter Bob Hitchens shooting a 45-70 with a 260.
Not sure but I believe Gullo was 3rd with a 259.
Jim,
I have the scope on my 40-82 for the Tollofson and fell back a little with a 241 and a miss at 1000. Chip got the best spotter today and I got a bottle of champagne for my efforts :lol: :lol: Yes I'm still shooting the micro mini groove bullet but wish I had changed to the new Buffalo Arms bullet as I have to run three wet patches to keep the barrel clean.
Jimbo Terry was the top dog in Tollofson with a 245? and he shot a 96-6x at 800.
Pretty tough winds today even at 800 and alot of people shot alot of misses.
Sorry I don't have more details but I'm starting to run out of steam.
It's been a tough three days but a fun time for all including some new guys that are a great addition to BPTR.
Woody and Doc, we all miss you guys and your names are in most of the conversations at the range.
Kidwell, your name hasn't come up but I'll ask at the shooter's meeting in the morning and see if anyone remembers you. :wink:
I'll have the score board with me tomorrow night and will try to give a better report.
Steve R.
AZ.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Tasmanian Rebel

Thanks Steve. I looked at the weather forcast early this morning and it looked pretty good and figured you guys would have it better but according to Bryan it was some tough sledding for most guys (except you and Chip! :D ). What little I've heard so far the new scoring system is working really well .? Tell Eron congrats for me tomorrow also, that was some kind of really good shooting he did in the Cup-for the second year in a row btw.
Keith
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Steve wrote:
Chip got the best spotter today and I got a bottle of champagne for my efforts
This is a classic example of an excellent shooter making his spotter look good. :lol: :lol: :wink: .....................................Jim
Woody

Post by Woody »

Back home now from Friendship. Cleaning brass and having a beer. Wish I had been there. Waiting for all the scores.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Woody,

How did the Miami Club match go??????............................Jim
Woody

Post by Woody »

Jim,

I don't have the scores. We had about 36 shooters for both days. Tricky head winds gave a lot of shooters fits. High Iron Sights on Sat was a 26. and Scope was a 29 (me). Scores improved on Sun with Mike Patterson shooting a 29 Irons, and I shot a 32 Scope. Wind was light from the East. Still a lot of shooters had big vertical spreads. Cool beginnings on both days. Saturday was Sunny and Sunday started with rain and finished with Sun. A good time was had by all.

Missed you and the GA boys. Ken Pointer didn't make up either.

Woody
Richard A. Wood