Question on Trigger Damage and Ammo shelf-life

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stronghorn

Question on Trigger Damage and Ammo shelf-life

Post by Stronghorn »

Just a short bit back, it was mentioned you could damage your set-triggers (Shiloh 1874's) if you "play" with them at the first cock (safety) notch. I have been doing this for some time to let first time shooters find out how light the set trigger is before they full-cock and fire. Now is this causing potential damge to the works?

Second, I have an ongoing argument with a fellow BPCR shooter (who hasn't shot much in 10 years) about the shelf life of loaded BPC rounds. He says only good from 6 months to a year. I just shot a match with loads done 2 winters ago. I was in second place and it wasn't the loads fault. Obviosly I store 'em cool and dry and have enough ammo loaded now for 2 years. How long have you guys gone on 'old loaded' ammo. I have proved him to be full of sh#t, but he still knows best. :mrgreen:
Omak Cowboy

shelf life

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Strong, it's my uneducatated opinion that the shelf life of ammunition is much longer than months. I've shot smokeless that is 30 and more years old - shot just fine!
Now maybe there is a lube problem contaminating the power if the stuff is kept in poor conditions but I very much suspect it will do fine if kept high and dry.
It would be interesting to see if paper patched bullets kept better than greased ones.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

I forgot to mention, the question pertains to BLCK POWDER loads. Smokeless is not a problem . I have USGI loads for my Garand from the late sixties, so far 100% reliability.

And I found answers to my trigger question. Do it for now on with chamber empty and hammer down.
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

I forgot to mention, the question pertains to BLACK POWDER loads. Smokeless is not a problem . I have USGI loads for my Garand from the late sixties, so far 100% reliability.

And I found answers to my trigger question. Do it for now on with chamber empty and hammer down.
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

HOW DO YOU EDIT A POST ON THIS BOARD WITH OUT IT BEING POSTED TWICE, HELP!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Stronghorn,

Gunpowder caches from the War Between The States have been found to be perfectly as strong as the day it was made. As far as is known, the shelf live of gunpowder is indefinite. People have actually been injured and some even killed by live shells from that war that detonated when mishandled. No, your cartridges were not too old.
Lee Stone
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

I guess what my buddy is trying to stress is the relialitiy of BP cartridges as to performance. IE: the lube drys up or seeps into the powder (even with cases stored nose down) this is another reason for the wad. Which he says are not neccessary in the first place, go figure on that one. Maybe he should just stick to muzzle-loaders, no shelf life there to worry about. He's going to the SASS convention again in December and attend Venturino's seminar. Maybe he can straighten Mike out on BPCR theories.
MLV

Post by MLV »

That would be great. I'd love to talk to someone who has all the answers. I certainly don't.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

After reading this thread, I had to try it out.. I have , had, 30 copper, internally primed 45/70 rounds headstamp showing manufacture in 1882. I fired 3 of them today out of my Farmingdale. 2.5" at 100 yds with barrel sights and 63 year old trifocal eyes. I would guess that the shelf life is a little longer h
than one would expect.
trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Buckskinner

shelf life

Post by Buckskinner »

Trigger Doc.

When the pies are hard you can step on them. :lol:

I guess that kind of puts the storage question to bed. Love this forum.

Buckskinner
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I am with tr. dr. I had to try it too I took out 3 rounds form a winchester white box and shot them through a friends 40-65 and they worked finedont know how old but the box is white with a green lable
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Trigger Dr, if you are going to Machias tomorrow how about bringing one of those old ctgs along for all to see. That would be a lot of fun!!Randy
Randy Ruwe
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Randy, I would be happy to bring one up, however, tomorrow is our annual end of season party for the staff of the Seattle Mariners, and I never miss that not even for a BPCR match.
Maybe at the next match. I will need directions to the match.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
bigfifty

Old Powder

Post by bigfifty »

As a matter of curiousity, I have a few pounds of Goex 2f powder which dates to 1979. Every year I shoot a little bit of it. Not real 'scientific' but appears not to of deteriorated any. Not stored with any particular care either. We lived in the Mojave Dessert for a while, so it has not been kept in a temperature stable way. Will keep you posted on this one. Bigfifty.
MLV

Post by MLV »

Just for general information. Dave Gruhler, the current BPCR National Champ told me he lets his ammo "age" a bit before competing with it, but I don't know for how long.