Adobe Walls book

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Frank

Adobe Walls book

Post by Frank »

Several months ago MLV had said the best book he had found on the history of the Adobe Walls fight was in a book called "ADOBE WALLS The History and Archeology of the 1874 Trading Post" By T.Lindsay Baker and Billy R. Harrison. I wanted to buy the book so I went on the internet to Barnes & Nobel and ordered the hard back copy for $ 50.00. When the book arrived the box had been smashed and the back on the book had broken away from the pages. It was a second edition having a photo of a old buffalo hunter printed on the hard cover. I called Barnes & Nobel about the damage and they said I could return the book for a refund but they were out of the hard back and did know when and if they would be getting any second edition books in but had the first edition for $100.

I then got back on the internet and found the phone number of the Texas A&M University Press who printed the book and asked them if they had the hard back in stock. They said they had the book in stock for $50 so I ordered it from them. In about 10 days the book showed up but was in soft back. I called them back and they said they would ship a hard back copy to me right away. Well to my suprise about a week later a hard back copy arrives and it is a first edition with a dust cover that has the picture and everything on it.

Overall it took close to two months to get the final book but it was worth the wait. I have several book on the Adobe Walls fight including the one by Olive Dixon but as MLV stated I am sure this book is the best of the bunch.

A long winded post but "thats my story and I am sticking to it"

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

I have had mine for a while but it is in mint condition, well close to it as I read it once. It turned out to be a hardback, 1st edition and signed by Lyndsay Baker one of the authors. It is a great book.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)