mva shortrange soul sight for hunting with

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

mva shortrange soul sight for hunting with

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

i am thinking about getting an mva short sight soul type for hunting in conjunction with the lawence sights.. i would probably set it on about 200 yards and flip it down for other shooting.. i also like shooting the gong at our range in helena mt.. at 300 yards.. my concern is, can i shoot ok with a strait stock and get a good right hand grip with it down:?? it seems i would have to flip it forward to wrap thumb around stock.. then this may impede the second shot loading?? any comments welcome . thanks dave...
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

ffffgdave

That's a good question. I'm looking forward to hearing some answers to it. I thought I would add a similar question to it:

When shooting a 1874 with a Tang sight, I was told that the Tang sight with large recoil, will cut the webbing of your right hand. Is this true, or a bunch of cow dung?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

My personal experience shows that at 200 yards, the Lawrence sight isf adequet for hunting. As far as 300, I don't know, but I would think that with a steady hold you should be ok there also.
I also have not had a problem with cuts from the tang sight, as my grip is firm enough that my hand moves with the rifle. On the other hand, The bill of my cap sometimes hits the sight and this can be uncomfortable, but short lived and really not painful, but more irritating.

Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

My hunting rifle is the Shiloh Hartford model. It retains the Shiloh full buckhorn sight, as well as an MVA combination front and an MVA mid range vernier tang.

This gives me the ability to either remove the staff from the tang sight base or simlpy fold it forward to angle where I can see through the staff and pick out the barrel sights. I do not have a problem shooting either way, and so far have not injured my hand. My only problem is dealing with low light shooting conditions.

I bought the Shiloh dovetail filler with the intentions of removing the buckhorn and replacing it in the field if needed. Since I can shoot the MVA mid range with the buckhorn installed I defaulted to the option of simply removing the tang sight sight staff if needed. It is a much easier change and MVA makes a thumb screw that also facilitates changing the sight in the field. So far, I have not had to do it, but it is a real possibility in dense cover and low light conditions when you need more sight picture than you can et throgh the Hadly aperture.

I have sight settings for the barrel and tang sights out to 300 yards.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

mva short tang sight

if i cant fold the tang sight out of the way of the buck horn sight i personally would not use it for hunting.. opening day again comfirmed my opinion that most critters are seen in low light conditions in the beginning and end of the day, and usually in timber. mulys in particular have a color very much like a evergreen trunk... i want the best of all worlds and as usual i probably cant get it...putting the front sight in the center of the buchorn apeture (not the knotch) puts me 2-3 inches high at 30 yards, 70 yards and 100 yards, and i can see the target and sigghts with or without glasses in low light..if deer is 100 yards its much better for me to use glasses.. hard to to with almost any other non glass sight, so im not willing to give it up... thanks dave..
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Texas shooter I have had a tang sight on my 50-140 fot the past 20 years (wow how time flies) and use 700+ gn bullets and have never cut myself with the tang sight. you really have to duck under the cloud to see where you hit I use it mostly for the dangerous killer desert jacks we have in this country. it handles their deadly charges very efficiently as after all this time hunting them I have never suffered any physical damage from one of them when using this grand weapon.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

sights

i looked at some sights mounted today at the local store, and with the longe ones they had you wold have to look thru the top hole to see the barrel sight,, not good for me.. the very knowledgeable store clerk saidthe long site tho can hit your eye if folded back.. im hopping a short one can be folded back for open sight shooting and i wont hit my self with the recoil.. powder burnere do you use only the tang site? if you use the barrel sight do you put your tang site forward or back??? when it is back do you habve problems with holding the stock as thumb cant wrap arround???.. thanks dave..
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Load the weapon and fold the tang sight forward. Look through the hole in the staff that the eye aperture moves up and down in. If ya need to, after removing the staff base screw, remove the staff and replace the screw into the base mount. Don't fold the tang sight back towards you along the comb of the stock... Everybody had their own method,,,,this is mine..
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

fffff
I have my barrel sites on my rifle all the time mostly can use them in conjunction with the barrel sights as they are not in the way. like tr.dr. they almost always hit my hat brim so when I reload I reset out of habit . If the tang is in the way like nohorse I tip it foreward about half way and shoot over the eyecup or just take the staff off. I dont have any problem holding it and using it but mostly just plink with it and shoot rabbits. the base has never been a problem on any of my rifles as I have extra bases on all and just move the staff from one to the other I think it is a matter of just getting usted to them beingg there
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Low light conditions and peep sights are a common problem when hunting. I have several rifles with peep sights; both black and smokeless powder rifles. I drilled the peep sight hole bigger on all of them, and this helped a lot. The bigger hole didn't detract any from target or silhouette shooting; now the peeps all have a ghost ring on the inside of the peep itself that I find very effective.

Re: the front sight what seems to work well for hunting is an application of liquid paper on the top of the sight. I generally use a post with a bead top or a plain post for hunting, and this method works well for those types of front sights. It would probably not work well for a cross-hair front insert although I haven't tried it yet.

I have a couple of muzzleloaders with fiber optic front sights that are excellent. The shooter always has the same little pink dot to look at almost regardless of light conditions. Unfortunately, a fiber optic sight on a Sharps rifle may be almost un-American.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

This is something that I have been pndering myself for sometime. Is the 50-140 with 700+ grain bullet large enough for rabbits?? How does that work powderburner???? Is my 45-110 to small??
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Nevada obviously has some tough and mean rabbits. I don't blame him for taking sensible precautions and using an adequate calibre.
Lee Stone
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the calibration is highly unusual however I am still here to tell about it with both my index fingers still attached. as i am posting
The 50-140-700+ calibration is marginal occasionally. However the only time that I was required to shoot one twice was when I was using a 45-110-550. I feel that is only fair to warn you that with mouse calibrated rifles that you should pack a backup rifle or at least dont hunt them by your lonesome

..............................Dean
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

mva 130 and 3f swiss...

i called mva today and asked about their sights.. due to liability they have to say thier sights should not be fired in the reverse possition. the plus is they come with the quick removal screw.. they recomend the 130 for hunting that has windage and elevation screws and they lock down.. at the worst i can use it to work up loads and for fun.. at the best i can figure how to use it for hunting without getting in the way of the buckhorns when game is close and need qujick shot, or in very dim light.. only way ill know for sure is to get my feet wet.. .. . another question is 3f swiss a bit faster than 3f goex with 70 grains and 400 grain bullet... 2nd questioin is velocity quite bit higher with lead bullet 25-1 into the lands? thanks dave.
Stronghorn

Post by Stronghorn »

I had a dumbass friend of mine shoot his #3 sporter in 47-70 using the barrel sight and just folding back the tang sight. Now granted it was a long staff sight, fired one shot and he had a sore tooth/gums and jaw for a week. Now he listens once in awhile.

I have never even come close to hurting/cutting my hand by wraping around the back of the tang sight on my #1 in 45-70. If you do get hurt, your not holding tight enough.

Use the barrel sight and find your marks for different ranges. You'll see better and won't risk damaging your expensive tang sight to and from your stand.