big . BIG... B . I. G 50

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger Dr

big . BIG... B . I. G 50

Post by Trigger Dr »

I just returned home from the Puyallup Gun Show ( Wash State). Mike Percival had a farmingdale Shiloh Sharps, Shotgun Butt, Standard half round, 30" in 50 / 140. My Gosh what a sight to see.. He wants $2500 if I remember correctly, and will be at the gunshow in Reno coming up soon. If interested contact Michaelpercival@msn.com.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Trigger Dr.

Well, if you haven't guessed it by now I am new to this game and I have a couple of questions:

1. What is a "Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps"? Did Shiloh once make a Farmingdale model and discontinued it.

2. What about the cartridge 50-140. Shiloh site lists 50-90 as the maximum. Is this also discontinued? 50-140 sound like one hell of a round.

Thanks for the heads up on the Rifle.

Regards,

Hal
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Trigger Doc: yup saw that yesterday. Did you also happen to see the chrome plated Matini in a Schuetzen configuration? Action, hooked butt plate, & lever all appeared to chromed....

Show looked very slow on Sat. & I didn't see much $$ changing hands. Looked @ a few rifles & "always heard "make me an offer." How was it 2day?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Canoe: prior to relocating to MT, the hiloh rifles were built in Farmingdale, LI, NY.

The 50-140 is a big cartridge--3.25" case. I've seen a few over the years, but the only one that shot w/ an accuracy utilized a 650 grn. bullet propelled by about 125 grn. of powder. the owner finally rebarrled as it was too much gun ofr his shooting needs....
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Ray,

Thanks for the information. Now I understand the "Farmingdale" reference.

Yeah, the 50-140 sounds really interesting, but my guess is it certainly would not be your everyday Rifle.

Hal
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ray,
I had no problem finding parking in the 2nd row. action was very slow, I never even had to turn sideways going down the aisles. Did you see the Shiloh saddle rifle that Buddy from Poulsbo Sportsman Club had there? 45/70 very clean.. he wanted $2500 OBO. I think I will go out to the ckub tomorrow and talk with him about it.
I bought a #1 Rolling block action from Ron Heilman, and am going to barrel it in 45/70 with a green Mt 1/18 twist. Then over to George at Treebone for stock. Ron told me of an acquaintance of his that will bone hard pack case color if I do the polish.. Yep that too.
I talked with Mike percival about the 50/140. he said he had shot ONCE and that was enough. That gun can't weigh over 9 1/2 - maybe 10 pounds at most. OUCH
The creedmore rolling block he had just under it has had my attention for the last 4-5 shows. This is going to be the basic pattern for my purchase today.
Jim (Trigger Dr)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Jim: I have also observed that so-called Creedmoor RB, but to me that barell looks too light. The octagon section didn't look very big & I bet the round part took a off a great deal of the orginal mass. What type of rear sight is on it?

I've a #5 RB action that I'm going to do something w/ one of these days. Been saying that for almost 15 yrs. Would like to put a side lever on it, a real heavy barrel for a big .40 or another .45? Maybe another .45 27/8" so the Borchardty doesn't get too lonely....

The only purchases that I'm looking for areGI Model 1917 rifle and revolver. Am also seriously thinking of getting a few military training .22s after my Curio & RElic FFL comes thru. These orig & replica single shots are really getting expensive....

Maybe we can get together @ the Dec show?
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

I thought for a moment that this post was going to be about the .50BMG. However the .50-140 is big enough. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Never having had the opportunity (and I am not particularly looking for it) to fire either a .50/140 or a .50BMG, I cannot help but wonder how the recoil compares between the two. All the .50BMG rifles I have seen have had muzzle breaks on them, I am guessing with very good reason.
Lee Stone
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Lee

I laid behind a .50 cal. machinegun, a .50 cal AR-50 and a .50 cal. I think he said it was a Barrett. And I put 5 rounds through a C Sharp .50-140 with a 640 grains of lead IT"S NO FUN !!!!!!!!!!. I lost my hat on the first round :roll: The .50 BMG is about like a heavy slug in a .45-70 and a lot louder.

Kurt
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

:shock: By the way it hurt so good

Kurt
Buffaload

Post by Buffaload »

I once did business at a gun shop in Ohio where on the wall hang a fine Shiloh 50-140. That shop had sold that same rifle 4 times, that ought to tell you something!-It still looked like a new rifle so you can bet its previous owners didnt fire it much. Seems it always came back with loaded amunition too.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I have shot the 50 BMG in 3 different rifles,

The LAR Grizz, The McMillian bolt and the Barrett.

Recoil is not a issue with the brake on any of them. Never have tried it with
the brake off NOR DO I WANT TOO!!!

I shot one 50-140 round and I dont want to try that ever again.

The worst part of the 50 bmg was when on the 3rd or forth shot i cut the astro turff on the bench from the muzzle blast and the big chunk of truff blew up over me and the rifle, I thought the world had come to a end!

Of all three 50's I like the McMillian the best, with a 750 gr AP Tracer round, i hit one target at a touch over 1900 yards with it 3 times in a row. The owner had a leapould MK 4 scope I think?? on it and was zeroed for 1500 yards, once i figured the hold over for the target i was shooting at was able to hit on a real regular basis. A man at that range would of been having a bad hair day if he was the target

I got a email from a Marine buddy, (not Gunny) seems like I have had Marine buddys since the early 90's (highpower days). Any way the buddy sent me a email about some force recon marines that were taking fire in Afganstan and a Canadian Sniper Team gave them some support and took out a heavy Machine gun at a range in excess of 2700 yards.

Funny part about my Marine buddys, back in 1991 I was shooting the 1000 yard match at Camp Perry Ohio at the highpower nats. I got to be close friends with several members of the Navy team and the Marine team also. The Marines had two Gunnys that were spotting for me at the 1000 yard any rifle match to help me get on target, I was playing with a cartridge that they were very interested in a 6.5x55 swede, now days the 6.5-08 or the 6.5x284 are kicking butt back at Perry. I was just a bit too early.

While I like the 50's they dont do nothing for me like a 45-110 Sharps. Now thats Cool and mine shoots pretty damm good on occasions.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Kenny,
I havbe to agree with you about the 6.5x55. I have a carbineCarl Gustav 98 mauser FN action, manlicher stock. My wife thinks that it is the best thing since Betty Crocker I have taken several deer and one Elk with it. The wife shoots gophers with it.
I guess I should say that i bought it for her with the idea that she would not like it and give it back to me... Man was I wrong.
Trigger Dr

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team