Sight Tubes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Canoe112

Sight Tubes

Post by Canoe112 »

Does anybody know of sources for Sight Tubes.

Not the MVA long Scopes with optics.

But, the true Sight Tubes that did not use optics and were open to the air on both ends.

I have not succeeded in finding any on Buffalo Arms, etc.

thanks,

Hal
Jim Kidwell

Sight Tubes

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Jim,

Thanks for the references.

Both of the links appear to be for a modern tube sight that extends an attached optical sight. I didn't even know these were made or used.

I am looking for a tube sight as used by some of Berdan's guys during the Civil War era (The War Between the States, for those that prefer).

They were a simple tube (Brass?) adjustable for height and windage. Generally with a cross hairs at the end of the tube.

Their function was to provide a distinct shadow over the sight radius.

In fact in one of the NRA Rule Books I believe they are even referenced as being "legal". (As I recall)

So, if any one knows of a period correct Tube Sight please post. I suspect they were used mostly on the 1863s and not the 1876s.
rdnck

Tube sights

Post by rdnck »

Canoe--Tube sights are not legal for NRA Silhouette competition. Check rule 3.4 (b). Shoot straight, rdnck.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

rdnk,

Actually, at this time I am pencilling out two different Rifle designs. The first will probably be a somewhat enhanced Hartford, 45-110, Spirit Front, Long Range Tang. This one would be used for NRA matches, excluding Silhouette.

The second Rifle is down the road, but I am interested in recreating a Sharps Berdan, in .52 cal modern (.54 Civil War era), with Sight Tube as is referenced in some material I have reviewed. This project is more of an historic issue to me and may not be used in NRA Matches at all.

Your reading of Rifle Silhoutte Rules 2003, page 10, Sec 3.4 (b) is correct.

However, Black Powder Target Rifle Rules 2001, page 6, Sec 3.7 appears to imply that Tube Sights are permitted.

Further, Black Powder Target Rifle Rules 2001, page 6, Sec 3.7, Subsection (a) also leaves the question open as to BP Military Rifles.

My review of Black Powder Target Rifle Rules 2001, page 6, Sec 3.7, is not as firm as it was last night when I first read the Rule.

But, I believe that a "good faith" argument can be made on the BP Target Rifle Rules.

Regards,

Canoe
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

All,

So, I am still looking for references to period correct (Civil War era) Tube Sights.

If you know of any purveyors please let me know.

Hal
Scarlet Knight

Post by Scarlet Knight »

Canoe,

There are several reenactment groups that outfit themselves in period-correct Sharpsooter garb & equipment. Your best bet might be to contact one or more of them, and ask them where they get their gear.

A list can be found at:

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/links.html

Under the "Re-Enactment Groups" heading towards the middle of the page. If anyone would know where to get a tube sight, it would be these folks.
If all gun owners voted like gun owners, we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our guns.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Scarlet Knight,

Thanks, that helps a LOT.

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

All,

Can you identify the Rifle at the top of the page on the following link?

I don't know enough about Sharp's to assure it is a Sharp's or what model, barrel, etc.

Also note the Sight Tube on the Rifle.

Any information would be appreciated.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunke ... ponst.html

Hal