Sabots in BPCR

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Sabots in BPCR

Post by ironramrod »

Here's a concept I have not seen addressed, and I realize it is probably blasphemy to even consider it. Maybe even un-American, but I can't resist it.

Nevertheless, has anyone ever considered the idea of using a sabotted bullet in a BPCR? The idea would be to use a caliber such as .50/90 with a sabotted .45 cal bullet or a .45/90 or whatever with a .40 cal bullet. I realize this could only be used in hunting applications, if it worked at all. To show up at any NRA type target/silhouetter match with such a combination would probably get the rifleman launched into the next zip code immediately if not sooner.

I have shot sabotted cast lead bullets for many years in muzzleloaders, and I have yet to see any bullet that killed better than they do; lots of horsepower when the bullet meets the hide. Additionally, on targets they are superb for accuracy.

What are the upsides and the downsides of such a concept? Has anyone ever tried it? Does anyone have any data to support or refute such a concept?
TYRVR

SABOTS IN A SHILOH

Post by TYRVR »

....are those crickets I hear?
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
rdnck

Sabots

Post by rdnck »

ironramrod--Sabots were very common in black powder cartridge rifles during the buffalo hunting period. Then they were called paper patched bullets. Honest. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

rdnck,

I've wondered if the paper patch was an early sabot round. I haven't been able to come up with another reason to paper patch.

Do you have any handy reference for your post? I'd like to read further on this.

Hal
TYRVR

Paper patched =Sabot?

Post by TYRVR »

By the same reasoning, patched round balls are also "saboted rounds",
I have shot modest amounts of paper patched bullets, but, I always use a bullet that was of a diamtre that the rifling was still engraved on the bullet, it was to my understanding that the paper was to aid the passing of the bullet so as not to leave lead deposits due to most paper patched bullets being of dead soft lead.
True sabots, to my understanding, carry the projectile, am I wrong?
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

ironramrod, An iteresting question. however, Im not sure I see the need for these even in hunting. With my.45-70 and a good hunting bullet and Swiss powder I get all the speed and accuracy I need. I do see where they have merrit in an in-line with a scope where another 50-100 yards may just be the difference a hunter needs to bring home the meet. But with my Sharps and open sights, I am going to limit my hunting to 150 yards or less and I am going to stick with what has worked very well for me. The key here is trigger time and having the confidence to know where the bullet will strike at hunting yardages. :lol: This is an iteresting question though, and I too, would like to know it this has benefits in hunting with open sights? The experiments continue!
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?