How to touch up blueing

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Crazy Horse

How to touch up blueing

Post by Crazy Horse »

My dad bought a new rifle and it has a tiny scratch on the bluing on the reciever. Is there something I can touch it up with where it won't be as noticable? It is a very light scratch and does not hardly show up unless the light reflects on it. He has been pissed off for the last two days and I wish I could fix it for him. Thanks, Larry
Badger

Post by Badger »

If its just a light scratch you should be able to use a cold blueing solution and blend it in so you will never see it. Cold blue solutions are available in any gunstore, even Walmart should have them. You need to degrease the area to be touched up and may need to do a couple of applications.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

crazy horse,

You really have to be carefull useing cold bluing because you can really ruin a blued action. I'd get Brownells creme formula "Dicropan T-4 touch up" That stuff is great. Just read the instructions carefully. Brownell's # is 1-800-741-0015 And the part # is 2H06U56 Thats for a 4oz. bottle it's about 11.00 dollors.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Thanks Guys. I will have to be careful I don't want to mess it up worse than it is. The gun is a Browning BAR Safari 243 with some beautiful light colored wood. Thanks, Larry