What is the best rifle set up for shooting long distance?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

What is the best rifle set up for shooting long distance?

Post by Texas Shooter »

For everyone:

It seems that for shooting long distances in competition the following are basically true: (for the most part, not including shooter skills)

1. Quality rifle (duh)
2. Consistant Ammo (plenty of power, minimum recoil)
3. Heavy Bullet (less wind problem)
4. Long sight radius
5. Make weight requirements
6. Good Sights
7. Comfortable, well fitted stock

I am guessing I'm on the right track so far. Anything I'm missing?

Also, why are competition rifles for the most part, not ordered with a round barrel? It would seem to me that extending the sight radius out as far as possible (Without incurring to much weight) would make the most effective choice instead of going with a heavy barrel. Wouldn't the lower velocity bullets be less affected by a lighter barrel, or is it based on the weight of the bullet?

Does anyone mount the Tang sight further back on the stock to increase the sight radius in competition today? I have seen the older rifles with it mounted at the heel of the buttstock.

Thanks for your thoughts, :D:

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omak Cowboy

shoot'n

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Tex, I would add natural point of aim and a good trigger to your list. Might also suggest case prep, though I'm not sure if this applies to BP as much as it does smokeless as I have little to no experience in BP.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Texas Shooter,

1. Quality rifle (duh)
True, a quality rifle is important, but a quality barrel is most important. Although there are shooters that feel the shorter lock time of some rifle types is better then others, very few of them can take advantage of it. Get what appeals to you and if the manufacturer does not make their own barrels, ask around for opinions on what to barrel to specify when you order.

These 2 go together. You can't have it all when using large caliber heavy loads for LR. There is going to be recoil that can be reduced by using a heavier rifle and shooting jackets, etc... Until the .40 cal and under crowd start winning matches regularly, its going to be a .45-90 or larger equivalent caliber to be successfull.

4. Long sight radius
Long barrel = heavier = better.

15 lbs is the limit for NRA (US) events. 13 lbs is the limit for international events. (I think its 14 lbs for Ernies match.) And just about anything goes for most gong style matches. I have 2 rifles set up for LR. one weighs 11.5, the other used to weigh 14.5 and has had a stock change to bring it in at 12.1. Actually a 3rd one, a LR Trapdoor is only about 9.5 lbs and is a bit much for regular use with .45-90 equivalent loads.

6. Good Sights
Yup.

Again, there are limits as to design. Check with whatever organization you intend to shoot in. Mostly has to do with the height of the comb in relation to the bore line. Material (no use of aluminum, carbon, etc...)

Good luck with whatever you chose. Framk M.
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Texas Shooter,

1. Quality rifle (duh)
True, a quality rifle is important, but a quality barrel is most important. Although there are shooters that feel the shorter lock time of some rifle types is better then others, very few of them can take advantage of it. Get what appeals to you and if the manufacturer does not make their own barrels, ask around for opinions on what to barrel to specify when you order.

These 2 go together. You can't have it all when using large caliber heavy loads for LR. There is going to be recoil that can be reduced by using a heavier rifle and shooting jackets, etc... Until the .40 cal and under crowd start winning matches regularly, its going to be a .45-90 or larger equivalent caliber to be successfull.

4. Long sight radius
Long barrel = heavier = better.

15 lbs is the limit for NRA (US) events. 13 lbs is the limit for international events. (I think its 14 lbs for Ernies match.) And just about anything goes for most gong style matches. I have 2 rifles set up for LR. one weighs 11.5, the other used to weigh 14.5 and has had a stock change to bring it in at 12.1. Actually a 3rd one, a LR Trapdoor is only about 9.5 lbs and is a bit much for regular use with .45-90 equivalent loads.

6. Good Sights
Yup.

Again, there are limits as to design. Check with whatever organization you intend to shoot in. Mostly has to do with the height of the comb in relation to the bore line. Material (no use of aluminum, carbon, etc...)

Good luck with whatever you chose. Frank M.