Ron Heilman

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Canoe112

Ron Heilman

Post by Canoe112 »

Guys,

Well, I've seen posts regarding Ron Heilman's sights.

Some guys like his front sight.

Some guys seem to like his tang sight.

Two questions:

1. Why are they used? Are they BETTER than MVA Spirit and Tang? (Or is this more like the "best truck" and "best girl" diiscussion.)

2. Are they "period correct"?

thanks,

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

BTW, do you have his website?

The closest I've been able to find is:

Buffalo Stampede Choreographed by Ron Heilman of Randolph New York Description:
44 count, 4 wall line dance. Counts, Step Descriptions. ...

Sounds like it might not be the right guy. Or with a name like "Buffalo Stampede" it might be the right guy.

Either way I'm looking for sights, not dancing.

Hal
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I have both sights from Ron Heilman, the front spirit level "sky light" sight, and his long range tang. I really like both of them, especially since both of them together cost me less than the MVA tang. Even putting cost aside, the sights are very good sights, well worth the money. The front sight Ron makes is the best I've ever seen. He doesn't have a web sight, his email is r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net, and his phone is 253-840-2623. Email him, tell him Ken sent you (no I don't get anything) and he will send you a brochure with his sights on it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

I stopped by the Shiloh factory in Big Timber a few weeks ago and had a chance to compare the MVA's, and Kelly Soules side by side, as well as a Heilman globe w spirit level and an MVA. My original order was for an MVA Soule and MVA spirit level globe, and my order is unchanged. I believe the MVA's, from what I saw and felt, were better quality. One opinion only. I recommend that you try to compare side by side and then go with what you prefer based on an actual comparison.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I just called Ron earlier tonight and ordered another front globe for my LRE that's going to start production soon. I like his sight because it's designed Like the Lyman 117A with the way the inserts are put in. The best part though is the spirit level being inside the globe giving it a nice clean appearence.

I have his midrange tang on my Hartford 45-70 and it's a well built sight. One of the nice features is that the elevation screw is set inside the staff unlike the MVA's where it sets off the back where it could be damaged if one wasn't careful. Another nice thing is that Ron will cut your elevation markings on the right side of the staff for us leftys. I'm planning a long range staff to be cut just that way to replace my midrange staff here in the near future. That being said I have to say that my LRE is getting an MVA Buffalo Soule because the only thing Ron's sight doesn't have is the nice finish that's on the MVA. Being that I built this gun to be my show gun I wanted the nicer finish for my tang sight.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-