My 1877 And The "List"

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Re: My 1877 And The "List"

Post by Trigger1212 »

So THAT’s what a real deal build letter looks like! Thanks for sharing Kirk!

By looking at your letter it looks like I’m 155 slots behind you and that’s just fine as The Day is getting closer.

Now that builds are hitting the work bench would it be rude of me to ask people to share their build specs?

Prior to this it has all been speculation and dreaming, now the hard choices have to be made! Calibur CAN be a tough choice unless your just locked in on one you love. Mine will primarily be for silly-wette an some hunting so twisting in the wind on 45-70 or 40-65, leaning towards 40-65 (never had one) so I can enjoy longer strings and hopefully keep shooting it later in life (mild recoil).

Of all things the hardest choice (for me) may be the Rigby Rib. I think the RR just “makes” this rifle from a looks perspective. Problem is I also want it D&Td for MVA scope. When I spoke to The Boss Hog, aka Mr B, at the NRA convention in Indianapolis a few years ago he said it was either the RR or D&T, but not both. Bumm-er! I recently contacted MVA and explained my delima and asked them if they could make a set of blocks to work with the RR. They promised to contact Shiloh to discuss the feasibility. Fingers an toes crossed!

So what are the specs on your builds if you don’t mind my asking?

Cheers!

Wade
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

No secrets here! I ordered mine to look as much like an original 1877 as possible. You can see the additions at the bottom of the page for the various features. The 1877 was made with a round barrel, not octagon, so I ordered the round barrel. It was also a single trigger, not double set, so I ordered accordingly. I also added some other features to make the gun look as nice as possible and stay within the original pattern of the gun.

I did get the Rigby rib, it is on the second page of the order. I am also a fan of American Walnut and not European imported wood, so I got the Extra Fancy hand select Feather Crotch wood for the stock anda AA finish with the pack hardened case hardening. Everything costs money and I decided to spend some, but I could have spent more.

I also went back and forth on the cartridge, but decided on the 45-70 as I have hundreds of rounds already loaded so it will be an easy thing to get it shooting with those rounds.

PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

You said you ordered a 45/70 but the build sheet says 40/65??????????? :? :? :?

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Steve crawford wrote:You said you ordered a 45/70 but the build sheet says 40/65??????????? :? :? :?

Steve
Take a look at this...

Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kirk-May I ask why the AA finish, and not the AAA, with the wood you have selected?
Respectfully,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

Must be a old build sheet. The sheet just above my post has 40/65 at the top and in comments. Must be the sheet before you made up your mind. I know I changed a lot of things before mine was built. I was just asking. Sorry for the hassle. :oops: :oops: :oops: I now see the change in the comments.

Steve
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

when shiloh built mine months ago they would not do any fancy wood, semi fancy was the highest option they would build art
Doug

Post by Doug »

Received my letter for the next lot. Here are the specs:

1877 #1
40-65
32” barrel
Customer Supplied English Walnut (see photos)
AAA Finish
Pack Harden Finish
Rigby Rib
Steel Buttplate
#112 MVA Front Sight
Tang Base for MVA Buffalo Soule (already have the sight)
Flared Forearm Panels
Polished Fire Blued Screws
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Other side:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

art ruggiero wrote:when shiloh built mine months ago they would not do any fancy wood, semi fancy was the highest option they would build art
I am not one of their favorite customers, but I guess they like me better than you...
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

That sure is pretty wood. :D :D :D

Steve
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks....came from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas. Nice guy to deal with on blanks.
hepburn

Post by hepburn »

My "77" arrived today. I am unable to load pictures as site says file is to large. I chose the #1 ---upgrading the wood to semi-fancy with rounded ebony forearm tip. Stepping up one grade of wood was well worth the cost----butt stock has nice figure with forearm even nicer. Caliber is 40/65 with 1-14" twist @ 32" round barrel. For those wondering about wt. ----with Baldwin sight it weighs exactly 12#. The single trigger is great ---breaking @ 3#. I am pleased & hope to have up & running for the big match at Friendship in May. Ron W.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Can't wait to see it Ron. See you guys next month.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

I got the wood and it really looks good.

You can find all sorts of different grains in all sorts of different imports, but there is nothing like feather crotch in American Walnut...