My 1877 And The "List"

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

Re: My 1877 And The "List"

Post by Trigger1212 »

Kirk, that's gonna be a purty stick when it's done! Question, I was looking at your build sheet and your sight selection. Looks like you chose a blade front and full buckhorn rear? Are you setting this up for hunting or is your build different than what shows on the sheet, i.e. are you putting target sights on it?

Also, what twist will you be specifying for the 40-65?

hepburn, check you messages, sent you a PM with offer to post pics of your build for you, inquiring minds want to know! :D

Cheers!

Wade
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

if you check the second build sheet, you will see I changed to a 45-70. I have tons of 45-70 ammo, so I will make it a 45-70. I also removed the rear dovetail and will be using a tang Mid-range peep sight on it. Talking to Kirk at Shiloh, I also upgraded the finish from AA to AAA to capture the best look on that stock.

I can't wait for the finish of this rifle, it has been a while and I am anxious to get it and shoot it...
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Aaaah, earlier in the thread there was some confusion on the caliber and you had clarified that it was to be a 40-65 so when I saw the 45-70 on the second sheet I just thought it was the "incorrect" one.

I have really gone back and forth on the caliber also, 45-70 or 40-65? Like you I have a lot of 45-70 brass and all the components I'll need to get it up and running. BUT, this will be primarily a BPCR rifle so was leaning towards the 40-65 for extended session recoil reduction which would (hopefully) allow me to shoot it into my later years without beating up the bod too much.

Still on the fence on this one, want the 45-70 just because, but particle still has me leaning towards 40-65. The torture will continue....

Cheers!

Wade
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Practical
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

I spent the afternoon yesterday with Kirk and Mike Venturino. Looking at the Sharps rifle in general and the 77 specifically and it is sad but we concluded that the people that appreciate and buy nice guns like these are getting old and few.

It seems that everyone younger is interested in AR platforms and stainless steel. Beautiful wood and blued steel is almost unappreciated and who know what will become of the guns that our generation own, when we die or decide to pass them along. Until then, I continue to buy and collect these guns...

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Not everyone that is younger feels that way Kirk...

I think there are more out there than folks think. I also think that these types of guns are for folks with a mature interest. Eventually some of the AR crowd will grow bored with those and start looking for something more interesting. It is much like hunting where young hunters just want to kill something. As they grow older, they may start looking for trophies, and then become interested in archery or muzzle loaders. Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows.

As far as what will happen to these guns once guys like you pass, well, I am looking to be adopted by someone with a large, old, gun collection..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Kirk B. called yesterday afternoon. The wood arrived for the current run of the 1877's and I made arrangements to come over on Tuesday to select my wood. Xtra fancy with AAA finish, 32'" barrel,round barrel, Rigby rib, flared forearm, cc hardened, single trigger, MVA Buffao and spirit level front. :D :D :D
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

bought a gallon of gas in the mid 60 s for .28 cents art
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Kirk,

I tend to agree with jackrabbit on this issue. The younger generation knows what they know, and many (most) of those coming out of the military may only "know" the black rifles and since they very well could have saved their skin at one point or another they may have quite an affection for it.

Having said that I do believe they can "learn" to appreciate fine blued steel and walnut, it's our job to introduce them to these fine arms! Many is the time that someone has been at the range and a young(er) shooter has come over to watch and hopefully be invited to participate, and come away with a whole new appreciation of what these fine rifles are about and capable of!

We can win them over yet, just have to get in front of them to show them the way!

Cheers!

Wade
craigos

Post by craigos »

I have new and old --- flintlocks, percussions, 1874, 1877 (Lucinda said mine started last week), and MP5s ARs and AKs ...
Smoke Wagon

Post by Smoke Wagon »

Spending an afternoon with Mr. Venturino, Mr. Bryan and Mr. Stovall would certainly be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the pictures and keeping us informed.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Went to the local Indianapolis gun show yesterday. 99 % black plastic and velcro. Spent most of the time BS'ing with one dealer with similar tastes. Did find a decent military Borchart. I haven't decided if I should pick it up or not. I only have a short window to decide. $1,200.00 in NRA Good with a excellent bore. Thinking it may be the right price for a Borchart build.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

A military borchardt is a lot of work to turn into a sporting rifle.
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Smoke Wagon wrote:Spending an afternoon with Mr. Venturino, Mr. Bryan and Mr. Stovall would certainly be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the pictures and keeping us informed.
We left Mike inside to guard the beer while Kirk and I went out to pour spirits over the wood to see what that stick really looked like. When we came back inside, the only thing left of the beer was spilled on Mikes swimsuit.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

My daughter and I went over a couple of weeks ago to look at wood. Kirk wheeled out his cart of 77 wood and we picked out 5 or 6 six that we liked. Then we went outside with a spray bottle of acetone and laid them out on the picnic bench. Wetting them down really brought out what the finished stock would look like. Chose a very dark, beautifully figured Missouri walnut piece. Serial number 44 is in the works. :D