Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: My 1877 And The "List"

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Very nice good for you Woody.

And all you lucky 77 owners congrats.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Woody wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:35 pm Image

Picked it up at 1600 hours today. Too late to shoot today and rain in the forcast for tomorrow. May be a couple of days before I can start wringing it out.

Image[/img]

Woody
I got to see and even hold Woody's new 1877 today! :D
It is even nicer than the picture!
Woody

Post by Woody »

It will be a day two before the weather will permit the first rounds downrange. So does anybody have a basic 100 or 200 yard sight setting with the 77 and MVA soule rear. I can start a 25 yards but would rather just give it a go at 200. Caliber is not that important as the difference in impact is within the target.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Woody wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 pm It will be a day two before the weather will permit the first rounds downrange. So does anybody have a basic 100 or 200 yard sight setting with the 77 and MVA soule rear. I can start a 25 yards but would rather just give it a go at 200. Caliber is not that important as the difference in impact is within the target.

Woody
10 minutes with mine, but at 100 yards I have my peep bottomed out on the staff...
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks Kirk.

The rain may lessen this afternoon and I have a meeting in Friendship this morning, so maybe after the meeting...... I'll throw it in the truck just in case.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Woody wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:30 am Thanks Kirk.

The rain may lessen this afternoon and I have a meeting in Friendship this morning, so maybe after the meeting...... I'll throw it in the truck just in case.

Woody

I am using the post front insert and not an aperture...
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Kirk,

I figured you were, since you have been hunting with yours, but it still should be in the ballpark. Still raining all day here, but tomorrow looks milder.

Maybe.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Finally. 32 degrees, windy, and overcast. Set up at 100 yard and sent six 520 grain paper patched rounds down range. Kirk's starting place of 10 minutes of elevation did get me on the bottom of the target. Bumped to 25 minutes and found the center. 75 grains of 2 FG Swiss printed about 4 inches at 100. I then tried my 550 grain greaser nose pour in front of 65 grains of 1.5 FG Swiss. The ten shot group was one ragged hole. :shock: :D Not a bad start. Next I'll take it back to 200 yards and start wringing it out for real.

Woody

Image[/img]
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Got it out again this morning. Bright, sunny and 35 degrees. Had to add 15 minutes of elevation to get on paper but the results are promising. The same 65.0 grain load that I picked as a starting load shot the best at 200 with .5 grain on either side also showing nice grouping. With weight of this rifle, (12.0 lbs) the 65 grain load is pretty mild, but should be fine silhouette and mid-range. I would think a little more velocity would be more appropriate for long range. It's probably time to haul the chrono back out.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
jwhill

Post by jwhill »

Woody, let me know when you are going to the range, Santa brought a Labradar for Christmas along with a .338 mag....... :evil:
NMLRA Past President and current BOD member
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

jwhill

You are really going to like the LabRadar.

Good Shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
jwhill

Post by jwhill »

Ross,

I hope so, also Zanta was kind enough to bring the target view 2 mile system. Going to try shooting elr, starts at 1000 and goes out from there. Also having a .416 barrett built for the 2 mile shoot.
NMLRA Past President and current BOD member
Woody

Post by Woody »

Joe,

Not for the next few days. I may be able to test again at 200 if the weather cooperates. Don't hold your breath. Sometime after the new year, I would like to send some at the swingers in Friendship. I'll give you a call when I plan to head your way unless you want to come this way. Merry Christmas.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Joe,

Not for the next few days. I may be able to test again at 200 if the weather cooperates. Don't hold your breath. Sometime after the new year, I would like to send some at the swingers in Friendship. I'll give you a call when I plan to head your way unless you want to come this way. Merry Christmas.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

jwhill wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:55 pm Ross,

I hope so, also Zanta was kind enough to bring the target view 2 mile system. Going to try shooting elr, starts at 1000 and goes out from there. Also having a .416 barrett built for the 2 mile shoot.
I would be glad to know your impressions of the Target View system after you use it. The range I use has very poor spotting conditions (when I even have a spotter). If the sun is out, it is usually in your eyes, and the backstop is usually mud. I am wondering if the Target View system would give me a better chance of seeing where my shot hit or missed.