40-82?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

40-82?

Post by jackrabbit »

I stumbled across a good deal on a CPA silhouette rifle today and couldn't pass it up. It is 40-82 and came with dies, bullets, and 50 or 60 brass. In my limited knowledge, I haven't found anyone shooting 40-82 in the BPCR matches. I wonder why? Also the brass is headstamped 45-70, so I am assuming they must have stretched it? Anybody have any experience with this round using it on silhouette or creedmoor?
thanks for any thoughts, Cody
bruce m

Re: 40-82?

Post by bruce m »

cody,
find out the twist.
this can have a great bearing on what the rifle is useful for.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Cody is that the one over in Wheatland?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Yes it is. I couldn't get that guy to come down on the price and he ended up trading it to a friend who ended up selling it to me. It is in super shape, whoever ordered it sure didn't shoot it very much. It doesn't have any sights, so I will have to see what I can come up with. I also ended up with a super good shape 92 carbine in 38-40 in the same deal. I am pretty tickled.... :D :D
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If the barrel was put on at CPA you'll find the twist rate stamped into the barrel under the forearm.

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I thought about getting that from him and having a 22 barrel put on, but I ended up just ordering the 22 and calling it good..
That 38-40 sounds like fun..
See you Saturday, blizzards permitting.. :mrgreen:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Cody,

I think Rhoades may have the experience that you are looking for with that cartridge. What's the condition of the 38?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Cody,

A few years back I seriously considered that cartridge and did a lot of reading on it. To the best of my knowledge there are four chambers designs for it.

1. The original Winchester design which has a very slight bottleneck which only allows about a 400 grain bullet before the neck starts to open up.
2. The Shiloh/Lonestar chamber which is a 40-65 run in .300 further to produce a straight wall at the base.
3. The Crosno modification which removes the bottleneck and straightens and lengthens the wall at the mouth to allow a longer bullet.
4. Then a couple of years ago DanT made a modification as well and posted his design here but I can't remember what it was.

45-90 Starline can be worked to produce good brass. Rhoades shoots the Shiloh version.

Enjoy, Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
semtav

Post by semtav »

If its a 16 twist, 80 grains swiss 1 1/2 behind a 400 grain money bullet really made mine shine.
One of my favorite cartridges
Last edited by semtav on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you guys for the info! There is apparently more folks using it than I thought.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

I don't shoot silhouette with mine because the rifle weights 15# but I wouldn't shoot my 80 grain load for silhouette.
Just load it like a big 40-65 and it will shoot fine.
My rifle has a 14 twist but you'll be able to shoot the 16 just fine for silhouette and mid range.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Cody if you don't have anything to load that 38wcf with let me know. I can spot you some stuff.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thanks again fellas! I think I am most tickled with the 92. I am not a collector, so I am not sure how it would grade, but it seems to be in great shape. I would say 90+% of the blueing and finish is left on it. It may have been redone, but I don't know. It has an old lyman receiver sight on it, which I also like. I don't have very many guns left on my bucket list that I wish to own one day, but this was one of them. I also got a couple of hundred rounds of ammo in the deal and I am looking forward to shooting it. The CPA seemed like a great deal and will be a project for a future date. I am still working on making my browning in 40-65 work. I will have them out at the shoot so those that are there can look at them. I also wanted a rifle around that could be for sale if someone was wanting to get into BPCR. You know me, I like to squash excuses! :lol: :lol:
take care! Cody
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Cody as I recall Cecil told me once that rifle was the Crossno chamber.
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

I shoot a 40-82 Hepburn. Mine is 40-82 silhouette, developed by Dave Crossno. It is an excellent caliber, easy to load, not at all fussy. It works very well for silhouette and can be easily loaded to reach out to Creedmoor distances. Brass and dies are available from Buffalo Arms. FYI, my rifle has a fast twist Green Mountain barrel and when the 40-65's run out of umph, the '82 will get the job done.