Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 pm
in actual fact properly chambered pp rifles, groove diameter throatless chambers, and groove diameter throated chambers, will all probably shoot well.
the one fact that will allow this to happen it the necessity of having a bullet that properly fits fired cases, freebore if any, and bore if any of the bullet goes there.
other than that the twist must suit the bullet length.
then you just go and work up a load rather than using someone else's advice on best load.
all the above is homework and thinking that goes with.
bruce.
I agree with that 100%.
When i started shooting the 2 7/8 at last year's postal I did none of the above. I just took a bunch of components from my 45-90 and stuck them in a 2 7/8 case. It was just pure shithouse luck my chamber fit my components.
Had it been a Shiloh chamber it would have been a total disaster and would been in the back of the safe like hundreds of other 45 2 7/8s.
It wasnt til Kenny started working with the DD bullet that I started measuring things and figuring out why it worked.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Glad,

That my efforts are thought promoting, can’t have a better epithet than that. This has been a hell of a ride since 2007, when started PP. And even more so since I started this thread in 2004.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:32 pm Glad,

That my efforts are thought promoting, can’t have a better epithet than that. This has been a hell of a ride since 2007, when started PP. And even more so since I started this thread in 2004.

Kenny Wasserburger
And I hope that in another 17yrs from now your still here telling us stories, giving us info, and helping us ALL!! Most of us dont say it enough til its to late....THANK YOU!!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Kenny Wasserburger

Matt,

I appreciate your kind comments, a great deal. I think in some small way this thread has helped promote the sport, and furthered our knowledge base, at least that was my initial goal.

At this time dual Diameter bullets have my full focus, it’s Bruce M, Arnie S. and Distant Thunder’s fault.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Kenny,

I accept my share of the blame, but Arnie is the one who opened my eyes to the idea of fitting 1800s style bullets to modern day chambers and it was a good fit indeed! I'm pleased to have had a part in it.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Thanks for the Kudu's , Jim
Arnie
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Kenny, first I want to thank you for this informative thread, and to thank others here who freely share their hard soon knowledge. With all your help with PP bullets I manage to win or place in most of the BPCR I attend. I consider myself pretty fortunate that I can still compete at 83, but getting down on the ground ain’t hard for Silhouette shooting...it’s geting up; I need a better BC. For that reason I’m only shooting 200 yd bullseye now sitting on my butt. I know they have a provision for sitting in silhouette matches but can’t hold the rifle offhand for the chickens.
I shoot my own design DD .45 cal. Bullet that Arne helped me design and will be shooting a match next week with the patch just down to the bullet base...this was an improvement in accuracy over bullets that had patches that were folded over the base by .063”. 16:1 alloy.
Kenny, a few pages back you posted some targets but I could not see the distance they were shot at.?

Cheers Richard
Kenny Wasserburger

Richard those were all at 200 yards.

Kenny Wasserburger

flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Thanks Kenny!
Cheers Richard
Kenny Wasserburger

This old Thread needs a new post.

Long Range Shooting is being perpetuated at only a handful of places in the West with Byers the closest one with pits, and home to the BPTRA. Next is Phoenix a large range of matches is offered in March there. Cheyenne has pits but only to 600 yards along with Worland WY.

Traditional Creedmoor still hangs on by the skin of its teeth, with a Creedmoor Event at the Wasserburger Ranch, ranges of 800-900-1000 yards. This will be Memorial Day Weekend.

If interest is there a tradition Mid-range match may be in the offing, along with a 22 Mini-Creedmoor.

Alliance Gun club with be offering 22 BPTR, and mini-Creedmoor next year. With pits for the BPTR match. And gongs for the mini-Creedmoor.

I would ask you to continue your support of the BPTRA Association, as it’s the only true National Champion event we currently have.

Kenny Wasserburger
The Lunger

1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

I started reading before noticing the date of the first post. Anyway, what’s the thoughts on the .44-90 SBN?
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
Kenny Wasserburger

It was a great cartridge I think but was later surpassed by the many straight cases.

Fouling control today would mitigate most problems I think.

Kenny W.

powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I finally got a standard chambered 77 in 40-79 st and got a dd mould for it and it has changed how the rifle shoots for sure.
I did have leading in it but the 7 degree leade made it right.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kenny Wasserburger

A good 1000 yard bullet.

38/50, 5 consecutive bulls first 5 shots. Winner at 1000 yards tied 3 ways @800 with 44/50. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

semtav

Post by semtav »

That's good to know Kenny. I still haven't shot my new bull barrel 45 2 7/8. Kinda waiting to see how it worked out for you. Guess I'm gonna have to get one ordered.