Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Trends in BPCR Long Range Shooting

Post by semtav »

Yea, I get it all from the same source !!!! the salvage yard in Billings. It must have been in the "pure" lead, as it also happened to my WW-lead mix too. kept getting voids on the sides of my bullets. could only get maybe 1 in 3 to fill out properly. the shells had a whitish swirl look to them like you could see just how the lead flowed in to the mould. Using two different moulds and two different mixtures resulted in the same problems.
I cant remember what the piece was I melted that caused it,but I have a bunch of roofing sheets now that seem to be good lead.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

SWAG here-But sounds like Zinc maybe. :?
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
arnie

Post by arnie »

Yeah I have seen zinc contamination and it will do weird things when casting . A lot of Linotype gets contaminated because some printers used zinc spacers between the letters .
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

One thing of interest here, paper patch shooters are slowly but certainly going to harder alloys. Scores and competition continue to climb..

The modern day version of the fisher brush seems to be the mainstay of us wipers.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

some people tend to overlook what the ODGs did, in the belief that modern man knows more, or that something has changed.
however, in the day it must be remembered that many, many shots were fired at long range targets, and what won matches became the trend.
evolution led to bullets of 11:1, a wiping procedure which was facilitated by the fisher brush, and breech seating with an airgap, and one thin hard wad.
goex powder could well be a confusing factor in our understanding of how things really happened.
goex uses a lot of compression, yet we read nothing of serious compression in the day. rather just the simple use of the droptube.
also it would appear that the 2.6" case overtook the 2.4" case in popularity due to its greater powder capacity.
the 2.4" case worked well in fixed ammo when 100 gns of powder was considered ideal, but more powder was found to work better.
the late introduction of the 40/90 Peabody and heavy bullets raises the question of whether smaller calibres might have become more popular in long range had it not been for the introduction of smokeless powder.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Bruce-The BP of the ODG times was far cry(better)than what we see today on average. Swiss and now Old "E" from Goex is bring'n that back.
Gary
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't think the blanket statement, powder then was any better than it is now, really applies.
There are many references to not using "moist" powders if compressing the load, to only use dry powder.
Hazard Powder Company had different varieties of sporting grade powders, with 5 or so "f" sizes in each variety. Not all of those varieties were recommended for use in cartridge guns, and some were only recommended for use in shotguns.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

IIRC-Uncle Sam had set specs for military use BP. I wonder how that would compare against some of the BP we have today? :?
The 'moist' vs 'dry' powder, I have never heard about before. :shock:
THX,
G.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Government powder was generally not looked up on with favor in the target shooters world.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

That would make sense-Lowest bidder etc. :lol: :P
Just curious how the powder was test'd etc. to see if it was to spec.
G.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I thought I'd bring this thread of Kenny's back to life.

One big trend I see is the use of the BACO bore wipers that give shooters a big time advantage which can pay off in points. The use of MPro-7 as a wiping solution seems to be more popular too. I was happy with my NAPA oil/ water solution, but did have some carbon fouling on the last day when the barrel got very hot.

After shooting this year's 1000 yard match in Phoenix it also reminded me of this old thread of Zack's which has a few interesting posts:

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... =5&t=21699

I certainly improved my fouling management this year and it helped a lot. The use of DZ Arms mounts on an MVA scope was also a good thing.

Chris.
Kenny Wasserburger

It goes to show, how much Perry's book, gives us today.

Wipping is king again.

And paper patch did right well at Phoenix, along with thr Tollofson rifles.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

BFD

Post by BFD »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote:It goes to show, how much Perry's book, gives us today.

Wipping is king again.

And paper patch did right well at Phoenix, along with thr Tollofson rifles.

KW
Yes, things have come a long ways since the 1990s and even early 2000s when it was common knowledge around here that paper patching could never be competitive and wiping between every shot simply wasn't possible. :roll: :roll: :roll:
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

It looks like those big guns worked pretty well from where I was sitting! Kenny do you find it any harder to get a reasonable cheek weld on those Tollofson rifles due to the higher front sight height? Did you find any trouble with fouling on the last day?

Once we get some good weather here I'm going to shoot my .45-100 paper patch rifle over the chronograph to compare SD's with standard wiping vs the BACO bore wipers. I've got to get another set or two of them to mess with. I'd like to do that in some really hot dry weather to be honest though. I might have to visit the interior, desert part of our province this summer.

I'm also going to see if Buffalo Arms will make a mini-groove version of the 458535M1 for my Borchardt. Right now I'm using the 458535M1 and I don't think I need those big lube grooves.

Chris.
Kenny Wasserburger

Chris,

From where I was shooting you don't need any lube grooves at all. :) :lol:
Jimbo and I both shot the same score the last day, my 92-1x the first relay pretty much confirmed my load, and wipping method. Jimbo went to 4 damp patches the last 2 relays, as I did, along with a dry for my patched Bullets.

We both had a aw crap on the last relay, resulting in both of us shooting 77 for that last one.

I was busy first day and last, as I spotted for all 3 other shooters, Jimbo, Robert and Kirk Martin, their scores were, pretty good.

I shoot a scope, with a David Barnes cheek piece, so the front sight isn't an issue. Both of us were using 16 twist barrels, and 16-1 alloy, Jimbo used Swiss, myself 1.5 Olde Eynsford.

I spent a good amount of time studying the wind at Phoenix, mirage often lied, flags more often then not were your best bet, along with, a couple of other things. Still we all had some strange verticle, even Dave Gullo. Often with All 3 shooters we had total reversals in a string of fire Kirk once had 5 of them, due to time limits we had to come to zero, then correct for the different condition. He still shot very well as did Robert, and of course Jimbo.

Jimbo saw, what I had warned him about, and when I shook my head no, and gave what I thought for windage, it came together pretty good. It's most certainly an advantage to have a lay down scope beside you, or the focus backed off on ones MVA, to aid in catching a change. A good spotter played a major part of the day as Bruce mentioned.

One thing, at the end of the day, the Tolloffson rifles, lessened effect of recoil I think is a big factor.

I was looking at and for patch remains, mine are just finely shredded strips, as Steve Baldwin observed confetti.

KW

I had zero fouling issues, my 3 shooters all had some, the BACO bore wipes are a game changer, you just have to still adjust for conditions,and they explain a lot about the speed the oils dead guys had.

My highest temp recorded on my stay put mat was 136 dregs, with 4% RH. On my sheep skin it was about 112. Air temp was 89.