thanks to Charlie Montana
semtav

Re: Dans Posts

Post by semtav »

Thanks to Montana Charlie
semtav

Post by semtav »

Art, I'll describe what he told me to do once when I had some 16:1 alloy which seemed to have age softened.
First, heat your oven to 400 degrees F. When the temp has stabilized, put a cookie sheet/shallow metal pan with bullets on their bases into the oven and leave them there for one hour exactly. After one hour cut the heat off and leave the bullets in the oven to cool off gradually . When cool enough to remove by hand they're ready to go. Best to do this while wife's not at home and since your putting lead on cooking ware need to dedicate that piece for future annealing episodes :D .
Keith Lay
TAA

Post by TAA »

A little off subject. My favorite rifle is my 74 Sharps in 40-70 SS. The bullet I use is a Paul Jones money type that may embody some of Dan's influences.

I also shoot hangun silhiuette. My XP-100 was recently re-bareled/re-chambered in something called 6.5TKS. Basically a 6BR Lapua case blown out to 6.5mm, a 40 degree Ackley shoulder that is about 0.010" fatter than the 6BR case.

Does anybody know if Dan had somthing to do with the 6.5TKS? Does anyone know what the initial TKS stand for?

Thanks!

Tom
MJS3240

Post by MJS3240 »

Yes the 6.5TKS was one of Dans. The TKS stands for Theodore Kurrick Silhouette. Dan was always on the quest to knock down high power rams with the least recoil. The last time I saw Dan was at the local rifle range when he was experimenting with two new rounds based on the 204 Ruger necked up to 6.5 and 7mm.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Interesting.
First, believe me I am not taking away anything from Dan. I considered him a good friend and mentor, tho I never met him in person.
The experiments on neckng up the 204 Ruger to 6.5 and 7mm:
You may know the 204 Ruger is a necked down 222 Mag.
The 7mm was done back in 1979 or so with the 7mmx 222Magnum built on XPs. One guy called it the 7x47 Thunderjet.
beltfed/arnie
arnie

Post by arnie »

I have a bunch of brass from Dan's garage after the fire but all of it seems to be variations of the 22 Russian ,like 22 and 6 ppc and maybe even some Grendel . I believe at his memorial some people there were working with him to develop a high power round for silhouettes .I suppose that was canceled since then .
MJS3240

Post by MJS3240 »

beltfed wrote:Interesting.
First, believe me I am not taking away anything from Dan. I considered him a good friend and mentor, tho I never met him in person.
The experiments on neckng up the 204 Ruger to 6.5 and 7mm:
You may know the 204 Ruger is a necked down 222 Mag.
The 7mm was done back in 1979 or so with the 7mmx 222Magnum built on XPs. One guy called it the 7x47 Thunderjet.
beltfed/arnie
Arnie
Dan was always tweaking cartridges. His 6.5 TKS was an improvement on the 6.5BR. I assume he was aware of the other wildcats based on the 222 mag case and he was trying to get the most velocity he could out of it. Somewhere out there there has to be drawings of his chamber reamers.
Marion
MJS3240

Post by MJS3240 »

I just checked an old email I had with Tim Kurreck and in it he mentioned that one of Dan's Silhouette Rifles was marked 7-04. We speculated that this was the rifle he was working on in 7mm-204 Ruger.
semtav

Post by semtav »

I guess the photobucket extortion is in full swing. Someday I'll get around to transferring the drawings to a different site.
semtav

Post by semtav »

sure glad photobucket changed their tune and let these back on.