Glock43 whoas

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: Glock43 whoas

Post by mdeland »

Yes, like a couple of dummies that should have known better we left our rifles in camp while we butchered the caribou in the picture. It was Elmer's 22 grain load and bullet. The first went through his chest but missed the spine as it came out his back. He didn't even flinch but put it in high gear straight at my hunting pardner who was kneeling above and slightly behind me. I was reclining back on my left elbow shooting off of my right knee so I don't think he noticed me from the caribou carcass.
I give him the first one in single action, recovered from the recoil and just as he was passing on my left shoulder straight for Chris I give him another in double action that hit the spine and folded him up. He pushed up the rocks with his nose just four feet from being on top of Chris so it was a bit serious for a few seconds there. I've seen many bears both brown and black and know they can move but this deal pressed that fact home.
It was the grace of God two old coots didn't get really messed up because that bear seemed intent on having that caribou bull. , which is what brought him in to begin with as we were cutting the animal up.
I guessed him at 350-400 lbs. Two of us could barely lift him to roll over for butchering and you can see in the picture his head is about as wide as I am. I took some fat home with me from the bear and rendered about 2 gallons of oil for muzzle loading patch lube. Good stuff for gun oil or cooking. It renders out a rich amber color then turns white as it solidifies.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

bear oil just after rendered and still warm:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I forgot to mention that bear meat that has not been on fish is as good or better than caribou or moose. This one had lots of fat on him and being an interior bear not on salmon ,the meat is sweet and tender.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Mike, second that on the great taste of "non fish eating" bear meat.

I presume you cook that bear meat well,
as they are related to pigs and can carry trichinosis
beltfed/arnie
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Top Dog wrote:Lumpy Grits,
Yep,those green Mojave have a very nasty venom,if I am not mistaken it is both hemo and neuro toxin. Another one in your neck of the woods is that Pacific NW Rattler.

I don't know of a former or current LEO that does NOT have a 38 snubby usually in his/her pocket or IWB rig.

My snubby is a Charter Arms Off Duty hammerless lightweight.

Even if I am out rabbit or squirrel hunting,that is with me always. That or my Bulldog that I made into a "Boomer" which is their latest model 44 Bulldog.

I am glad that your dog did not get bit by that Green Mojave.

Top Dog
ME TOO :!:
'She started barking her 'get your arse here now' bark. About had a heart attack when I come around the corner and could see a snake coiled up in the corner. Wasn't till I got closer I could see it was a 'green'.
Told her to go(she hates gunfire)and shot it. Don't know why I grabbed my snake gun as I went outside-Sure glad I did.
Her name is Shelia, and she is fur-family to my wife and I. :wink:

She's a 'MAS' Miniature Australian Shepard. Thank God her reaction was faster than the snakes.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yes I do! I like to pressure cook the roast then just before done pitch in plenty of onions, carrots, sellery and potatoes. Makes my mouth water just talking about it. :lol: Think I'll get a roast out and thawing for a fine meal in a day or two when I get some of our perishable groceries whittled down a bit.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

LumpyGrits,
I am glad that incident had a very good finish.

Now that fine dog of your,does she take all the blankets at night??

Mine was a total bed hog. I don't know how she did it but all 105 lbs of Luvvy took up the entire queen size bed.

Again,I am glad that your dog did not get bit.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Top Dog wrote:LumpyGrits,

Mine was a total bed hog. I don't know how she did it but all 105 lbs of Luvvy took up the entire queen size bed.

Top Dog
She's 37-38lbs, and has the bark of a 100lb+ dog when she wants. :lol:
She's a clown at heart, and has more energy and 'smarts' than any dog I have every had. I have clocked her on radar at 28mph. :shock:
When my wife goes to work-Sheila pulls the covers down on our bed and knocks the pillows onto the floor. :roll:
Sheila, is the pack-leader in this house- :lol: :lol:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Lumpy Grits wrote:
Top Dog wrote:LumpyGrits,

Top Dog
She's 37-38lbs, and has the bark of a 100lb+ dog when she wants. :lol:
She's a clown at heart, and has more energy and 'smarts' than any dog I have every had. I have clocked her on radar at 28mph. :shock:
When my wife goes to work-Sheila pulls the covers down on our bed and knocks the pillows onto the floor. :roll:
Sheila, is the pack-leader in this house- :lol: :lol:
Gary
Sheila. A great name for an Aussie dog :D
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Lumpy Grits,
It is amazing how a dog takes charge of a family!!!

I guess Sheila has a "battleship attitude in a rowboat butt".

Funny thing,I never met a dumb dog but as for humans...…………………………….

Looks like this thread started out about a Glock Model 43,then went to snakes and now dogs!!!

Top Dog
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It's all good,guns and dogs go together perfectly! :lol:
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Mdeland,
Yes you are so right on that. Guns and dogs do go very well together.

I think it was Orvis a number of years ago made a "Wet Gun Dog" aftershave lotion.

I wonder if Hoppes #9 would have an aftershave lotion as well?

Top Dog
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Milled out another trigger of aluminum and installed a steel bushing for the trigger pin so it would not be riding on the aluminum body. Also got rid of the plastic angled trigger block safety and made a button push of brass.
I think I finally got a hide out gun that suits my fingers and grip.
Smoke Wagon

Post by Smoke Wagon »

I must say, Glock is a great value for firearms in it's price range.

I'm keeping an eye on the 19X.
Glock 19 X.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.